nettime's_digestive_system on Sat, 4 Jul 1998 00:57:25 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> candybar [Myers], gruel [Hermosillo], voice [Garrin], soup [mez]

Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 04:18:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Wayne Myers <karaite@yahoo.com>
Subject: The Silver Plated Mars Bar: A Theory of the Internet

Suppose the Internet was a silver plated Mars bar.

The shiny metallic exterior exudes a superficial gut-level impression
of a hard money-oriented plaything for the wealthy of the world, thin
and expensive, way beyond the means of most, which serves to warn the
blind people on the left, who already know what they think of anything
that seems to be silver plated, that they don't have to investigate
the interior of the thing to know that it is worthless, parasitical
and they hate it. The blind people on the right reject the silver
plated mars bar too, but for a different reason - it is silver plate,
not solid silver, and as such, is clearly aspiring to status beyond
its station. Neither group ever gets to taste the interior.

Those that do find it rich and sugary - the interior divides into the
bit that looks like chocolate and isn't, the bit that looks like
toffee and isn't, and the bit that looks like nougat, and isn't; just
as people confuse the large amount of text available online with the
kinds of old-media texts we had before and insist on arguing the toss
over whether or not the Internet will kill books, reading, literacy or
whatever; whether or not the Internet is a 'valid' medium for
informational research; whether or not the Internet is made of
chocolate or whether it's fake chocolate. After all, if it isn't
really chocolate, it can't be any good.

The possibility that it isn't chocolate but something else altogether,
which may happen to resemble chocolate in some ways, does not occur to
the extremist chocolate lovers among us, who see anything similar to
chocolate but different from it as a threat to their long established
chococentrism.

Even so, if you have too many silver plated Mars bars, you do feel
sick. Even if you like them and don't care whether or not it's really
chocolate. Or whatever.

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~waz/