Gerard Van der Leun on Fri, 1 May 1998 15:13:11 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Re: Anti-Technoenvironmentism

John Perry Barlow wrote:

> Really.
>
> I had to leave the WELL because of Gerard's ASCII-Tourette's Syndrome.

Actually, John, you flatter me. I was under the impression you *left*
because too many people there were onto your self-promoting
cyberblather. Yes, too many had seen you operate for too long and
heard your limited set list a few too many times for you to continue
in your Gabby Hayes routine.

> Tiresome as this list can be at times, it remains well worth reading, and
> reading thoughtfully. If we are to be fed toxic doses of this sort of
> thing, I will finally yield to the impulse to unsubscribe.

Ah, the loss to cybermanity will be dire indeed. I've been reading this
list for a few months and this is only the second time I've noticed
you've risen up into view. The other was, I believe to defend the
crew at Wired and the supposition that they were on the way
down the bitchute. Hardly riveting contributions, are they? But
then again everything you know is right, right?

> Even such a naive techno-utopian as myself

You are neither naive nor techno nor utopian. Or, shall we say,
you have as much of those qualities as P. T. Barnum, along with
the enviable ability to batten off them in more than one
venue.

>occasionally reaches a point where Cyberspace
>feels like more trouble than it's worth.

Ah, the door to enlightenment opens. It is absolutely
more trouble than it is worth. Glad to see you are beginning
to understand.
---