announcer on Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:09:12 +0100 (MET)

<nettime> announcer 020

NETTIME'S WEEKLY ANNOUNCER - every friday into your inbox
calls-symposia-websites-campaigns-books-lectures-meetings
send your PR to sandra.fauconnier@rug.ac.be in time!
0.......1........2........3........4........5........6

1...kongress@viper.ch.....cfp: VIPER 98
2...Gusano Barrenador.....THE ZAPATISTA CHALLENGE CONFERENCE
                          London, 98.03.07-08
3...The Grand Jury........Mister Net.Art - Final Results
4...ARTSPACE Sydney.......More Mardi Gras events at Artspace
5...mouchette.............suicide-don't worry
6...Andrej Tisma..........WEB ARTISTS' PARADISE
7...Jopi Nyman............cfp: Postcolonial Conference in Finland
                          98.05.15-16
8...Vesna Manojlovic......digital diary

........1..............................................

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 11:06:50 +0100

Brave New Work
kongress@viper.ch
May 20 - 22, 1998
Call for Papers

"Game Forms/Work Spheres" is the theme of VIPER 98's multimedia programme.
In connection with this theme, we are organizing a conference on "work
spheres." The debates around new technologies touch on both work and
culture. Industry promises that the information society will create new
jobs and economic potential - promises which clearly contrast with
society's hopes that the new machines will make work tasks easier, and its
fears that work will be destroyed. This debate takes place against a
background of economic deregulation, increasing unemployment and the
revival of liberal discourse. At the same time, many artists, theorists and
critics find themselves outside of traditional working relationships. Part
time and free lance work and McJobs are sketched as the work models of the
future, where the idea of full employment is no longer a concept and people
will manage their jobs themselves.

Topics

VIPER discusses the concept of work as it appears to us now, and analyses
current debates about technology from an artistic and critical point of
view. The following thematic emphases are suggested:

1. Analysis of the discourse of technology
Myths of technology and progress are part of every period of social change.
The 90s push toward the service industry has been accompanied by a whole
range of such images, which complement the myths about the turn of the
millenium. We would like to investigate these myths. What is new about
them, what is repeated? For instance, what role do women's work skills - so
highly praised at the moment - play? We imagine the following specific
themes: gender-specific job descriptions; strategies of representing
particular interests; notions of qualification and professionalism;
business vocabulary.

1. Code and product
Since the 90s at least, the production of merchandise goods has definitely
been relocated to the so-called low-wage countries. In the West, on the
other hand, new service centres are being established. Economists speak of
a de-materialising of the economy. Cultural aspects and image production
assume greater importance. We would like to discuss what factors determine
conditions at the end of the 90s. What does it mean when images,
information and communication suddenly become the most important products?
Is the concept of work being drained of production and divided along
gender-specific lines into goods-producing female workers and
image-producing male employees?

3. Analysis of new work forms
The clear division between work and leisure time is becoming increasingly
blurred. Whoever gives into economic pressure and becomes self-employed
ends up working more than ever before. At the same time, technical aids are
supposed to make work considerably easier. Often, there are no clear
boundaries for the many new models of work that have come into being. Desk
sharing, freelance, contracting: work on call. For industry, production
costs sink. For employees the result is (supposedly) freedom. What are the
implications of this kind of work? The questions that seem important to us:
individual responsibility, when it's just me and the computer; awkward
gender-specific stereotypes; the self-image of a self-manager; unlimited
working hours, when "I am the office"; the division of interests, so-called
plural identities.

Contributions to the conference should take various forms. These could
include: ideas of visionary models; group presentations; traditional
speeches; moderated talks; presentation of indivual projects developed on
the front lines; film screenings; etc. We are looking for moderators and
people who would like to give talks, and present and develop ideas on the
theme of "work worlds." One possibility is setting up a virtual job
exchange where everyone can contribute their dream job, or a workshop on
how to become self-employed. Please submit papers, theses, projects and
suggestions before February 15, 1998. Texts which are exchanged and
position which are formulated will be discussed with groups of participants.