announcer on Fri, 7 Nov 1997 23:03:25 +0100 (MET)

<nettime> announcer 008a

1. Spoon-Announcements      Globalization from Below
2. Tjebbe van Tijen         Castaneda's 'the teaching of don Juan'
3. Remo Campopiano          artnetweb & INTELLIGENT AGENT vol. 2.07
4. Richard Gardner          The ART DEADLINES LIST - November 1997 edition
5. intim@                   digital studies / info

Last call: please post and forward...

		     "Globalization From Below:
	Contingency, Conflict, Contestation in Historical Perspective"

      an international conference at Duke University, Durham, NC

		      February 5th-8th, 1998

Last call for papers: abstracts due November 1st 1997

Confirmed keynote speakers include Mary Louise Pratt

If globalization is such a multivocal and complex process, constituted by
numerous axes of domination and innovation, why have its analyses tended
to be so singleminded and monolingual?

We invite papers on topics such as the following:

* globalization in historical context
* "disorganized" labor and "disorganized" capital
* from slavery to emancipation
* the politics of the family and the post-welfare state
* forced labor, wage labor, affective labor, immaterial labor
* the black Atlantic, the cosmic race: hybridities and traditions
* struggle and revolution * gendering the global economy
* capital flight as response to labor movement(s)
* identity, ethnicity, and culture in flux
* internationalism and post-nationalism
* technology and resistance: the internet protest and organization
* women and global networks
* the environment and environmentalism * development and its discontents
* labor history: workers and workers' movements in a global market
* national responses to increasing capital mobility
* prostitution in migrant economies * contesting the old/new world order
* intellectual property, the privatization of information, and free trade
* the autonomy of capitalist command; the anatomy of new social movements
* the "postwork" society, from unemployment to pensions
* place, space and globalization * gender, race, labor & imperialism
* the Atlantic economy in the age of revolutions
* from the plantation to las maquiladoras
* Domestic work and international migration
* wages for housework: the price of reproduction
* communication networks: spreading subversion, disseminating ideology
* peripheral modernities and the third world in the developed heartland
* the welfare state in a global society
* the country and the city: urbanizations and nationalisms
* reactive capital, working class autonomy

Please send one-page abstracts by November 1st 1997 to:

Jon Beasley-Murray, Vince Brown, or Paul Husbands
"Globalization from Below" conference
Center for International Studies
Box 90404
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0404

fax. (919) 684-8749
tel. (919) 286 3526

email jpb8@acpub.duke.edu, vabviv@acpub.duke.edu, husbands@acpub.duke.edu
conference webpage: http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/global/

Sponsored by the graduate seminar in Interdisciplinary Studies with
funding from the Ford Foundation, the Trent Foundation, and Duke
University's Center for International Studies.

All (graduate and faculty and other) submissions welcome.

-----
Further information:

"Globalization From Below: Contingency, Conflict, Contestation in
Historical
Perspective"

This conference is concerned with "globalization" as a dynamic, contested
and often contingent process.  Rather than concentrating upon the huge,
apparently irresistible structures that have shaped our world in the last
500 years we will look rather at how different people and groups in
specific situations and places have struggled to come to terms with, and
often conduct resistance against, the developing global system.

Globalization is all too often defined in strictly economistic terms, but
by drawing attention to the negotiations that have constituted
globalization at the local level we hope to understand it in more complex
and nuanced ways.  In so doing we hope to re-conceptualize globalization
as a process that is and has been more open-ended and full of
possibilities than is generally recognized.

Is there a fixed direction inherent in globalization?  Or have global
processes sometimes historically resulted from ad hoc responses to
specific conditions and local resistances--both organized and
disorganized?  How have temporary stratagems come to seem--or come to
be--such overwhelming forces?

The current wave of globalization has transformed the composition of the
various forces and groups that make up the global system--allowing perhaps
new social movements or multinational conglomerates to come to the fore.
Thus traditional alliances are restructured and historic antagonisms
dissipated or rekindled.  We propose a historically informed
investigation into the balance of power and states of struggle that
result.

2.

for the last months I'm working on an interactive installation with the
theme 'neo-shamanism' that
will be a part of a big exhibition in the Tropical Museum of Amsterdam
(end
november 1997 till july 1998). The instalation consists of a circular
wooden frame structure (a neo yurt) of 5 meters diameter in which three
interfaces can be used: a big drum that shows 16 audio/visual sequences
and
drum head paintings from the four winds; 16 scrolls with background
information; two cyberboxes that exhibit what can be found on the internet
in relation to shamanism (a book interface with a barcode pen).

Now I have plkanned a sequence on Castaneda's book 'The teachings of don
Juan: a Yaqui way of knowledge'. while the famous quote on the experience
of flying is read I want to show the hands of many different people
holding
a/their copy of the book (as if you sat opposite a person reading the
book,
seeing both the back and front cover). Different translations, editions,
hands from different genders and ages all over the world. In this way  I
want to visualize the impact of the book over a period of 30 years.

Now finding  the book in many languages and arranging the right hands to
be
photographed would be a tedious task...so I decided to ask you to help me
realize this part

If you have the book or know soemeone who has the book and have access to
scanner and a graphic program to scan and adapt the picture format...maybe
wou will be so nice and help me.

A scanner is a photo camera too, so have a look at the attached picture to
see how simple it is...

A web page with information on the installation is coming soon...

If you need more information let me know..

Tjebbe van Tijen
Imaginary Museum Projects, Amsterdam
tijen@inter.nl.net
fax +31-20-6261897

3.

_____________________________

artnetweb & INTELLIGENT AGENT
A Monthly Newsletter
November 3, 1997
vol 2.07

_____________________________

Greetings:

NOVEMBER couldn't have arrived at a better time.
Was it just us or did October seem filled with ominous
portends for the future? El Nino and the weather, puppy
dog bombs in Bilbao, stock market "corrections," Reno v.
Gates, and the NEA deciding that, hey, the problem is
really all those elitist artists. And the final blow:
according to The New York Times the French have decided
-- after a great deal of philosophical mulling-it-over --
that Halloween, the most crassly American holiday, is
actually, well, French.

Good thing the weather in New York is turning cold and
we have an acceptable excuse for staying inside, hunkered
over our computer keyboards to keep warm until the
Spring thaw. Things are going well for the artnetweb
Online Education Center and the debut of the redesigned
quarterly INTELLIGENT AGENT Magazine has been a great
success. That means we'll be even busier over the next
few months keeping up with what seems to be an
increasingly incomprehensible world of art, education and
technology.

Now, if we could only figure out how to turn the heat up
on our computers.

Best regards,

        Remo Campopiano
        president, artnetweb
        http://artnetweb.com
        remo@artnetweb.com

        Christiane Paul
        editor, INTELLIGENT AGENT
        http://intelligent-agent.com
        hyperact@interport.net

        Robbin Murphy
        editor, newsletter
        murph@artnetweb.com

        A hypertext version is available on the Web:
    -->http://artnetweb.com/newsletter/

1. artnetweb NEWS
2. INTELLIGENT AGENT NEWS
3. REVIEWS (WEB)
4. ANNOUNCEMENTS & CALLS FOR PARTICIPATION
5. BOOKMARKS

1. artnetweb NEWS
http://artnetweb.com

CLASSES at the ONLINE EDUCATION CENTER
426 Broome Street
New York, NY, US 10013
http://www.artnetweb.com/center/

It is our pleasure to report that the experimental online
course in VRML 2.0 is filled to capacity and a great success.
Web-based education, although in its infancy, is predicted
to be a multibillion-dollar industry and we've seen several
approaches to online education spring up over the last six
months. Our approach is three-fold...listserv, web site
and journal.

We use a *listserv* (multi-user email) to organize a
community around the subject, keep track of progress and
answer questions. The course *web site* contains and unites
the various aspects of the learning process. For instance,
in a given week you are asked to read sections of the
textbook, visit online tutorials, follow step-by-step
exercises, do work assignments, all related to one topic.
In the VRML course that topic might be "Using Color and
Mapping Images to Objects."At the end of the week,
participants are asked to present their work, comments
and problems in an *HTML journal* that is accessible to
the instructors and the other participants. This gives
the instructors a way of tracking progress and the
participants something to show and talk about.

The web site, which is contained in *one* elaborate frameset,
is designed to put everything you need at your fingertips.
Next month I will be putting up a one-week example of the
VRML site, as we prepare to recruit for the January starting
date of our second online VRML course.

Remo Campopiano

---------------------------------

The artnetweb ONLINE EDUCATION CENTER offers classes
both in the physical space of our storefront in New
York and on the Internet using e-mail lists, tutorials
and the Web.

For full course descriptions and syllabi visit
our website:
-->http://www.artnetweb.com/center/

If you have questions please contact Remo Campopiano:
phone: 212-925-1885 or 508-336-0855
e-mail: remo@artnetweb.com

ONLINE Classes:
1) VRML: Building 3d Worlds on the Web;
2) Web Design using Microsoft FrontPage;
3) Photoshop for the Web;
4) Computer-Assisted Sculpture Fabrication.

STOREFRONT Classes:
1) HTML: Web Page Design--begins November 19th;
2) Introduction to 3d Studio--begins November 8th;
3) Video for Multimedia;
4) Macromedia Director & Multimedia.

---------------------------------

<i> i o l a </i>

        An elitist and biased guide to
        projects and writing on-line.
        --> http://artnetweb.com/iola

---------------------------------

ART DIRT

A RealAudio and Video WebCast from
Pseudo Online Network
G.H. Hovagimyan, host
Live every Tuesday, 5-6 pm EST
and any time from the archives

        --> http://pseudo.com/netcast/shows/adirt

        RECENT GUESTS:
        Roz Dimon, Valery and Natalie Cheraskin from Russia,
        Kathy Brew of Thundergulch, Helen Thorington of
        Turbulence, Andrea Wollensack, Vivian Selbo,
        Paivi Jukla, and Elise Barna and Leo Fernekes of
        Elecktrokinetics Gallery.

If you'd like to telephone in during the webcast the number
in New York is: 212-925-1391

2. INTELLIGENT AGENT NEWS
http://www.intelligent-agent.com

Intelligent Agent's editor, the always fashionable
Christiane Paul, attended the "Wearables" Symposium
at MIT's Media Laboratory on October 15, 1997 and
filed this report:

Prt  Compute

High technology and fashion collided at the MIT Media
Laboratory's "Wearables" symposium -- a research-meets-
fashion/industry event -- that brought together leaders
>from worldwide corporations, academic centers, and press
agencies.

Hosted by Leonard Nimoy (himself a pioneer in the field
of the "fashion of the future"), the symposium consisted
of panels focusing on the topics Body Electric, Ready to Ware,
Wear Ware where?, and Be Wear; the symposium climaxed in the
fashion show Beauty and the Bits, featuring living, fully
interactive models on pedestals.

According to the visions and prototypes presented by various
panelists, our future "Body Electric" might be equipped with
the following features: glasses with integrated monitors that
constantly project data right into the eye without impeding
eye contact with other people; attachments, such as jewelry,
that measure bodily functions (blood pulse etc.) or give
psychological profiles; jackets that have been transformed
into musical instruments, complete with keyboards,
synthesizers, and speakers; circuitry embedded within the
fabric of our clothing.
(More info:
-->http://wearables.www.media.mit.edu/projects/wearables)

Our T-shirts may turn into wearable boom boxes, our bodies
into local area networks capable of "broadcasting" ads.
While wearable computing might become more and more of a
necessity for researchers and industries relying on "mobile
workers," musical jackets and T-shirts will probably turn
out to be as infamous as cell phones and roller blades
already are in public places. Among the outfits featured
at the fashion show, the ones that enabled the handicapped
to better communicate seemed to hold the most promise for
the future. Surprisingly underrepresented were the
possibilities of voice-recognition and speech-to-text
transformation, which would free us from having to type
on the keyboards attached to our hips.

(The full text of the report will become available online
soon:
http://www.intelligent-agent.com/intelligentagent_contents.html)

3. REVIEWS (WEB)
Featured in the fall issue of INTELLIGENT AGENT. The full
texts of the reviews will become available online soon:
http://www.intelligent-agent.com/intelligentagent_contents.html

MAKE ME A MAN
-->http://www.lanminds.com/local/sr/srapoport.html

Sonya Rapoport's latest project is a reflection on the
universal stereotype of manhood and how it has been sustained
in diverse cultures at the expense of women. The process
of "growing a man"is divided into stages such as "Initiation"
(purge the female stuff absorbed from the mother),
"Indoctrination" (muscles as an emblematic icon of seminal
continence), as well as "Documentation," "Science/History"
and "Adult Responsibility." Rapoport's hypertextual exploration
of manhood provides a provocative mix of imagery and quotes,
ranging from Darwin and Hitler to the Economist ("Every known
human society rests firmly on the learned nurturing behavior
of man." 10/28/96). "Make me a man" manages to pull off a
humorous and campy rendition of rather depressing "factoids."

METAPHORIUM
-->http://www.multimedia.bell-labs.com/metaphorium

At Bell Labs' "Metaphorium" the message is the medium. Users
can explore several metaphorical environments which use real
world analogies to facilitate unconventional Web communications.
Two of the projects explore messaging services that are random,
ephemeral and finite in a medium where messages are usually
targeted and information can be stored indefinitely. "Message
in a bottle" leaves visitors stranded on an island surrounded
by a large sea. The only means of communication left to the
stranded visitor is to place a message in a bottle and then
throw it into the sea; the server determines when a particular
user has access to a specific message. "SandTypewriter/SkyWriter"
places visitors at random locations along the coastline where
they can use the sand typewriter to leave a message in any
blank area on the shore, or the sky writer to create a
broadcast message in the sky. Eventually, sand messages are
washed away by waves while sky messages slowly fade. The
projects featured at the "Metaphorium" -- created by Dore
Seligmann, Cati Laporte, Alvaro Muoz and others -- are
inventive explorations of user surfaces that are subversive
in a very subtle way.

MMF-THE HALL OF HUMILIATION
-->http://www.clark.net/pub/rolf/mmf

It's a site with a mission: "Putting an end to online scammers...
or at least laughing at them mercilessly." MMF stands for "Make
Money Fast" and refers to the posts that are essentially old-
fashioned (illegal) chain letters promising you'll be rich
beyond your wildest dreams. "The Hall of Humiliation" tries
to combat this phenomenon by providing information, recourse
strategies as well as the MMF loser list and the most pathetic
or funny MMF of the week. Virtue-al Web activism.

THE MULTI-CULTURAL RECYCLER
-->http://shoko.calarts.edu/~alex/recycler.html

Yet another take on "Web colliders"--the sites that allow you
to generate "collided" pages by grabbing random information
>from the Web. This collider recycles images from sites that
connect video cameras to the Web. "The Multi-Cultural Recycler"
selects two or three of these websites at random, and grabs the
live or latest image from their cameras. The major development
of this recycler is its "Make your own Cultural Compost" option:
users can select the cameras themselves, or re-recycle images
created by previous visitors; the Recycler performs digital
image processing on the shots to recycle them into a new image.
The point? As Andy Warhol put it, everybody can be famous for
15 minutes. With recycling, the time span for fame might be
stretched to around twenty.

4. ANNOUNCEMENTS & CALLS FOR PARTICIPATION

[On-line Performance]
STRUT
November 12-15 1997
        A series of performances relayed over the internet.
        Works will be broadcast live; some will derive from
        audience interaction whilst others will utilise
        the web both as an information resource and means
        of continuous documentation.
        -->http://imaging.tvi.dundee.ac.uk/strut/jetai/index.html

[Call for Participation]
STATE OF THE ARTS: PRODUCTION, RECEPTION, AND
TEACHING IN THE DIGITAL WORLD
University of Maryland College Park Campus
October 8-11, 1998
        The Center for Renaissance and Baroque Studies and
        the Committee for Creative Humanities Applications
        in the New Technologies (CHANT) at the University
        of Maryland, in conjunction with the statewide
        Celebration of the Arts, is issuing a call for
        contributions to an interdisciplinary conference
        for an audience of university faculty and
        students, K-12 faculty and administrators, artists,
        museum curators, archivists, and the interested public.

        Proposal Deadline: December 1, 1997
        -->email: crbs@umail.umd.edu
        -->web: http://www.inform.umd.edu/CRBS

[Call for Participation]
ART AND TECHNOLOGY: IN THE AGE OF INFORMATION
Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts
Liverpool, UK
July 1-3, 1998
        This conference is aimed at a wide range of participants.
        In addition to academic specialists in areas such as Art
        Theory and History, Cultural/Media Studies, Sociology,
        Philosophy, Psychology, and Literature, we would like
        to invite artists, technologists, art critics, art teachers
        as well as interested members of the public to take part
        in this conference. Indeed, one of our main aims is to
        create discussion among these different groups about art
        and technology in the age of information.
        -->email: mna13@keele.ac.uk
        -->www: http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/stt/cstt2/tg/

[Call for Participation]
CROSSING THE BOUNDARIES VI
A Counter-Disciplinary Graduate Student Conference
March 27-28, 1998
SUNY Binghamton
Binghamton, New York
        The collective of the 6th annual Crossing the
        Boundaries Conference invites members from
        various cultural spaces and different academic
        disciplines to examine the issue of resistance
        and metamorphosis in visual culture. We invite
        paper and panel proposals, as well as encourage
        creative, non-formal, and interactive presentations
        (e.g. video, performance art, installations,
        interactive multimedia, etc...).
        Deadline: January 15, 1998
        Contacts:
        Jean Cucuzzella
        -->email: bg21010@binghamton.edu
        Sharon Smith
        -->email: bf20558@binghamton.edu

[Call for Articles]
JOURNALISM AND NEW MEDIA TECHNOLOGIES
Convergence 4, no 4 (Winter 1998)
School of Media Arts
University of Luton
Luton, UK
        The Journal is seeking research papers about
        journalism and new media technologies. Submit
        original research on topics related to the effects
        of changes in information delivery systems on news
        or on news workers, organisations and audiences.
        In addition, contributions to a debates section,
        features reports, and reviews of books or other
        materials on the same range of topics also are sought.

        The deadline for research manuscripts is 30 April, 1998.
        Proposals for other sections is 15 January, 1998 and
        the copy deadline for these sections is 15 May, 1998.
        -->email: Convergence@luton.ac.uk
        -->www: http://www.luton.ac.uk/Convergence

5. BOOKMARKS
http://artnetweb.com/resource/new.html

Pedestrian: Walking as Meditation and the
Lure of Everyday Objects
http://www.turbulence.org
        A work for the Web by Annette Weintraub.

Circuit_Bored
http://www2.sva.edu/hereandthere/bc/cb/
        The Web BBS with an attitude problem by
        Beth Carey.

Other Minds
http://www.otherminds.org/Otherminds.html
        Site dedicated to new and unusual music
        in all its forms.

DESKTOP IS
http://www.easylife.org/desktop/
        Spontaneous online exhibition organized by
        Alexei Shulgin.

Computing in the Arts Syllabus
http://jupiter.ucsd.edu/~bookchin/syllabus.html
        Links from a class taught by Natalie Bookchin
        at UC San Diego, Fall '97.

The Web Writer
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/8390/
        Guide to writing online from Steve Gilliard.

Ascii Pictures by Allen Mullen
http://users.inetw.net/~mullen/ascii.htm
        Cartoons and paintings reproduced with ascii
        text and html tags

Most Luminous Star
http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/PR/97/33.html
        One of the intrinsically brightest stars in
        our galaxy in an image taken with NASA's
        Hubble Space Telescope.

Robert Rauschenberg Index
http://www.electriciti.com/babu/fahrkle/tribute/Rausch/Rausch.html
        Links to the artist on the net.

Fakeshop
http://www.fakeshop.com
        Live on-line performance from Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Paint Estimator
http://www.bhglive.com/homeimp/docs/paintcal.htm
        Use this calculator to estimate the amount of paint
        you'll need.

Stir-Fry
http://www.adaweb.com/context/stir-fry/
        Dispatches from China from Barbara London,
        Associate Curator, Department of Film and Video,
        The Museum of Modern Art, New York.

If you have suggestions or contributions send them to:
murph@artnetweb.com

We'd like to thank the following for their generous financial
support to the newsletter:

        UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
        Program in Film and Video Studies
        http://www.umich.edu/~umfvpgm/

        ART CALENDAR
        The Business Magazine for Visual Artists
        http://www.artcalendar.com/

        WEB MONSTER
        Web and Mailing List Hosting
        http://www.webmonster.net

        PIXELYZE
        Digital Design
        http://www.pixelyze.com/users/carmin

You, too, can be listed above by giving a $100 contribution
to ARTNETWEB, 426 Broome St., NY NY 10013.
Make checks payable to Virtual Real Estate, Inc.
Thank you.

anw@interport.net

artnetweb
426 Broome Street
New York, NY 10013
212-925-1885

http://artnetweb.com
anw@interport.net

INTELLIGENT AGENT
Hyperactive Corporation
P.O. Box 661
New York, NY 10012
(+1) 212-462-9033

http://intelligent-agent.com
hyperact@interport.net

To subscribe to the INTELLIGENT AGENT magazine:

        SINGLE ISSUE: $ 5.00

        Domestic: $19.00 one year (4 issues) --
        $ 36.50 two years (8 issues)
        Foreign (airmail): $34.00 one year, $ 46.50 two years.

        To subscribe
        phone: (+1) 212-462-9033 -- 1-888-64AGENT
        --> e-mail: hyperact@interport.net

        or send a check to
        Hyperactive Corporation
        P.O. Box 661
        New York, NY 10012

artnetweb & INTELLIGENT AGENT is available on the web at:
http://artnetweb.com/newsletter

copyright (c) 1997 artnetweb and INTELLIGENT AGENT

4.

The ART DEADLINES LIST: Juried competitions, jobs, internships, call for
entries/proposals/papers, contests, scholarships, residencies, auditions,
fellowships, casting calls, tryouts, grants, festivals, funding, financial
aid, and other opportunities for artists, art educators and art students
of all ages:  http://rtuh.com/adl

5.

"digital studies: being in cyberspace"
- information -

DIGITAL STUDIES: BEING IN CYBERSPACE is an online event for
new media art and theory co-organized by mark amerika and
alex galloway

from the material:
     "... the exhibition "DIGITAL STUDIES" will showcase leading
     theoretical and artistic work in the field of new media..."

     "...EXHIBITION GOALS: > cyborg-narrators > html conceptualism >
     navigational aesthetics > networked intelligentsia >
     self-transmission radio > open(BOMB, ">>$la_bombe"); > ARTificial
     life > typographical disembodiment (the layered-effect) >
     prophetic nerves..."

intimate web art project
"re:volution"
http://www2.arnes.si/~ljintima3/revolution