Bruce Sterling on Mon, 13 Oct 1997 08:00:42 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Sci-Fi Paperback Wants to Be Free

*******DESTROY MONEY FAST!*******
Sci-Fi Paperback Wants to Be Free

Dear nettimers:

  My publisher has just surprised me with a great whacking crate full of the
paperback release of my latest novel, HOLY FIRE.  This happens to be the
first (and probably only) commercial science fiction novel to be heavily
influenced by nettime.  It's all about European hipsters doing peculiar
things with computer art -- in the 2090s.  The heroine is a wannabe digital
art photographer.

  Nettimers in the USA (HOLY FIRE), Britain (HOLY FIRE world first edition),
Italy (FUORO SACRO), and Denmark (HELLIG ILD)  already have commercial
access to this book.   Still, it pains me to think that there may be
denizens of Deep Europe whose lives are untainted by Yankee cultural
imperialism.  Do you like to read weird, slangy English?  Are you into free
cyberpunk novels?  Send me your snail-mail address, and I'll ship you a copy
gratis.  Just consider it my heartfelt recompense for all those megabytes of
free nettime theory jabber.   First come, first served.  Quantities are
limited.

Bruce Sterling, Austin Texas USA

I would like to dedicate this gesture to Professor Timur Novikov of St
Petersburg's New Academy of Fine Arts, a gentleman with a profound
understanding of the cultural dynamics of potlatch.

---