nettime maillist on Fri, 22 Aug 1997 19:02:10 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> the we of nettime

dear nettimers

appologies for the break. it took a while to check the technique..
this is quite a fat message - you can see it as a practical
answer to Jordan's last posting, following Geerts clear and
elegant reply.

it's a bit paradox, just in the moment we have to discuss a lot,
the list is getting 'out of control'. there must be some
undercurrent streams which are popping up now in strange ways.
after the '5 year plan for nettime' Geert and me posted in January,
which was fullfilled until now, even if extremely ambitious, we
have now the problem how to deal and distribute the success of
nettime without breaking down under the needed restructuring of
reaching a new level of organisation which fits to the changed
needs. First, it would need a collaborative description of these
needs. it's partly just a question of scale, but there are
many more questions.

to leave me one question here: what problems have nettime and
name.space in common?

Instead of theorizing i'd like to go to the level where
'i can do something for all of you' without hurting anyone too
much. a moment of silence isn't bad for reflection, the question
is still if we need moderation and how we decide about it.
a basic problem of 'practical democracy'.

during the last weeks i got several mail concerning the
question of moderating nettime, basically expressing a
'clear yes' (ok, there was one 'better not') so, for the
next weeks we will go to the model which was already
tested last year and should work as an interim solution
until we have found something better.

the two channel interim model:
the nettime-l mailinglist
(moderated - by Geert and me until now) and
alt.nettime (unmoderated). both are subscribable.
see the how-to below.

If this becomes extremely difficult, or if many of
you are revolting, we just get back into the old mode
again, but i doubt that it will work for long.
It is an experiment and it needs your participation
critique AND understanding.

how to deal with the interim solution:

A) alt.nettime:
contains *all* mails from nettime-l plus *all* replies.
there is (almost) no traffic limit. the best way
to use this is via a newsreader: zero scarcity!

newsgroup:
  news://news.thing.at/alt.nettime or
  news://www.icf.de/alt.nettime or
  http://www.dejanews.com ...

by mail:
  nettime-t@thing.at
  alt.nettime@workspace.icf.de (temporary)

subscribe to the newsgroup:
  send mail to listproc@thing.at
  subscribe nettime-t Your Name <your adress>
  into the msg body

B) nettime-l:
  like before, but with more editing/moderation.
  post reports, essays, manifestoes, lectures..
  expect some filtered mails appearing at the newsgroup
  and more pauses between sended text-packets.
  also see >some questions< below.

a special case: announcements
one suggestion was to set up an own mailinglist for mail-flyers,
(nettime-annouce) which sends out weekly digests. anyone likes to
help with this? it could easily grow and would then need an own
moderator. before announcements will get compiled into a digest
by hand, and if urgent send out immediatly. someone has then
to decide which announcements are out of context (private CVs)
or spam (commercials). with the double mail from Hotwired
lately i wasn't very sure. i would help a lot and add to the
quality of nettime if someone else would like to do this
independently.

some questions:
* how to get to know 'who are we, me, you and the rest of us':
  subjectivation and indentification is still a burden, nettime
  in a whole did not count too much on it, let's keep it this way.
  what colour do you have? who is representing your desires?
* how to get nettime more 'radical democratic' without destroying it?
* how to find, discuss and build up new technical solutions which loose
  the limited and inherently feudalist model of the majordomo behind?
* how to program and design social interfaces and free groupware before
  nettime has to adapt to given proprietary and closed software standards?
* how to keep or put nettime in the hand of the community instead of
  creating distrust, envy, discordia and a potential abuse of power.
* how to keep up the ongoing and still working 'gift economy' of
  pre- and re-publishing without getting in trouble.
* how to let nettime not become a slow discoursive battleship under
  one central command-and-control-structure.
* how to add more critical questions without getting lost in
  a self-destructive nettime criticism.
* how to avoid the creating of splinter groups AND a forced unified
  will under some unwritten dogmata OR a aporia of noise?
* how to continue this experiment with this extraordinary group
  of mindful people to still let surprises and conflicts happen,
  but also work on a continuity and effectivity in the discourse
  (on and of the net).
* how to apply technology to enhance and specify the social
  functionality without loosing coherence and the productive
  aspects of a working economy of gifts? (is an inner-circle,
  a group of the oldest nettimers viable, or do we need more
  'political apperatus', voting, formal debate... and: how
  to distribute tasks+responsibilty if there is 'no money
  in sight'? do we all have to become electronic monks?)
* what is a moderator, what are his/her tasks, what are the
  responsiblities? is there a way to collectify, enhance or
  distribute the task of moderation without adding more chaos
  and paranoia.

-- hope these questions are not too compromising, any
   criticism and commentary is welcome, whatever comes
   in your mind, post it and it will get digested and
   reposted here. ---

2. next practical projects (new work to be done..):

A) the nettime offline archive:
 as announced long time before, there is a chance now
 to put the complete nettime archive+zkp1,2,3,4 on a cdrom.
 (plain ascii nettime archive from June 1995 to September 1997.
 3.1/2 inch disc) it will get payed by ars electronica and
 distributed trough their channels. (le parasite) it will
 remain public domain for non-commercial use. any suggestion
 for the cover and the database design and a cool copyright
 disclaimer are welcome. this weekend a text will follow where
 every author will get asked for permission. the print run
 will be around 1000. We try to find a way to make an quick
 & easy shipping for subribers possible.

ZKP4, and the world
 same counts for the zkp4 which will be soon available
 trough the v2 archive in  Rotterdam, thanks! Ljudmila still
 sits on ca. 5000 copies. Here in Kassel we will probably
 will be able to run empty. We sucessfully used the dX postal
 service (thanks!) and all the authors should now have their
 private copy. everything else needs extra funding. IF YOU out
 there like to redistribute ZKP4 (find http://www.factory.org/nettime )
 in Australia, Asia or Amerika please go in contact with us.
 We will try to ship as many as possible copies to Rotterdam
 where there is a big harbour.. (You might re-sell the copies
 for the shipping costs.)

B) the book also called the nettime bible:
a team of some highly engaged nettime editors will meet
in Kassel during Sept., this group was growing not at least
through the meeting in Ljubljana. we will try to make the
process as transparent as possible without playing 'parliament'.
there will be a way for every serious nettimer to intervene.
we'll work on a raw version of a table of contents sorting and
selecting the textes and locate them around 'several planes'.
Someone mentioned a comic's section, more graphix etc. It is
yet completly unclear who will do this. The first manuscript
may get printed soon for common comments. Mieg van Eden at
factory.org is currently working on a annotation solution,
this will make Paraphernalia (Frank Hartmann) possible
and introduces dialogue into a more discoursive text form.

C) a better place for the nettime-techies:
There is also the idea about setting up the virtual
domain nettime.org, Walter van de Cruisen who soon opens a
web-multiuser-irc-moo at ZKM will redesign the ZKP-site
and downgrades to HTTP1.O. It was long planned to start
a technical mini-mailinglist on the software-side
of nettime. the collaborative interfaces, publishing tools,
e-cash-machines, profile-data-bases, object oriented data
heavens, indulgent agents, chat, net-phone, and psychic
applets, GNU groupware, nettime-linux, and possible contributions
to the content liberation front may get discussed here. Let's
bring some theory and practise into a result (or at least some
cool plans). if you want to add, your competence, time, brain...
please write at this moment to mieg@factory.org or pit@icf.de

processing more diversification
(as discussed in Ljubljana):

SYNDICATE!
(ex-east)european issues theoretical and mainly practical,
specially if media-art related should go now to the V2East list
syndicate@aec.at := Moderator is Andreas Broeckmann <abroeck@v2.nl>
who waits for your mail. it's growing and the output of and after
the meeting in Kassel is amazing, big future. it is obviously
a list with very pragmatic not to say infrastructural goals and
it works(?) perfectly as an example of synergetic coexistence in
the nettime neighborhood.

FACES-L
very cyberfeminist issues get discussed in faces-l@icf.de
moderators: kathy@thing.at, diana@dial.isys.hu, and Connie Sollfrank
<100136.14@CompuServe.COM> et.al. i heard its very productive and vivid.
please have a look at Faith Wilders article posted here on nettime
and expect an surprising autumn.

other friendly neighbors:
Rewired, Rhizome, Telepolis, Ctheory, Mute, Meme, E-minds, Well, RRE,
Enode, The Obvious, Netly News and many more (unsorted). who likes to
administrate a list of cross-links? it will go onto the desk.nl site and
would need some gardening from time to time.

ok i don't want to bother you with mroe sermons. it would be great
if nettime would get back into the good groove. tell us what you think.

/pit