SysOp on Tue, 19 Aug 1997 06:25:27 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Center for Media & Democracy

http://www.prwatch.org/
Title: Center for Media & Democracy

Welcome to the
CENTER FOR
MEDIA & DEMOCRACY

The Center for Media & Democracy is a nonprofit, public interest organization dedicated to investigative reporting on the public relations industry. The Center serves citizens, journalists and researchers seeking to recognize and combat manipulative and misleading PR practices.

Whether the issue is health, consumer safety, environmental preservation or democracy and world peace, citizens today find themselves confronted by a bewildering array of paid propagandists paid to convince the public that junk food is nutritious, pollution is harmless, and that what's good for big business and big government is good for the rest of us.

Unlike advertising, public relations is often hard to recognize. "The best PR is invisible," say industry insiders. To spin the news in favor of their clients, PR firms specialize in setting up phony citizens' groups and scientific "experts" who spin out contrived research using junk science.

The Center for Media & Democracy produces what Daniel Zoll of the San Francisco Bay Guardian calls "some of the best investigative reporting around."

Our publications include a quarterly newsletter, PR Watch, and the recently-published book, Toxic Sludge Is Good For You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry.

We specialize in blowing the lid off today's multi-billion dollar propaganda-for-hire industry, naming names and revealing how public relations wizards concoct and spin the news, organize phony 'grassroots' front groups, spy on citizens, and conspire with lobbyists and politicians to thwart democracy. We expose the hidden activities of secretive, little-known mega-firms such as Hill & Knowlton, Burson-Marsteller and Ketchum PR--the "invisible men" who control our political debates and public opinion, twisting reality and protecting the powerful from scrutiny.

Do you have a story to tell about the PR industry? We welcome whistleblowers and promise confidentiality!

Also available from the Center for Media & Democracy:

  • "Counter-PR" Research
  • Speakers & Seminars

Center for Media & Democracy
3318 Gregory Street