Declan McCullagh on Tue, 29 Jul 1997 06:53:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Blaming Soros, the Burmese currency crisis

I visited Burma a few months ago. My report is at:

   Linkname: Our Man in Burma
   Filename: http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/editorial/0,1012,475,00.html

I, too, shed no tears for SLORC, the brutal ruling military junta. I
narrowly escaped being arrested a few times. It's precisely because of the
repressive military rule that the country is one of the 10 poorest in the
world, even though it enjoys rich natural resources.

-Declan

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, MediaFilter wrote:

> Before you cry for the military thugs who enslave burma,
> or further demonize George Soros for his sleazy capitalist
> games, get the background on Burma:
>
>         For 34 years the people of Burma have been ruled by a military junta as
>         tyrannical and secretive as any in the modern era. Now, desperate for
>         hard currency, the country's dictators are at pains to establish Burma
>         as a vacation paradise. Posing as a travel consultant, John Pilger
>         penetrated beyond this new tourist trail to uncover a nightmare
> world of
>         intimidation, forced displacement, and slavery.
>
>         The Burmese Gulag
>         by John Pilger from Issue 58, CovertAction Quarterly
>         http://caq.com/CAQ/CAQ58burmese.html

---