John Perry Barlow on Tue, 3 Jun 1997 02:54:04 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Piran / Zero Work

Personally, I have never had a job in the formal sense of the word and I
hope never to have one.

On the other hand, I hope to go on "working" until the day I drop dead.

I spent the morning with Peter Drucker, who, at 90, is still producing
wonderfully clear and mind-altering perceptions of social and business
realities.

I can't think of anything I'd like better than to resemble him at that age
to the extent that my own more modest powers of insight will allow.

The point, as I said before, is to eliminate the weird Industrial Era
distinction between work and the rest of your life. Done right, it's all a
form of play.

Yrs,

John Perry

John Perry Barlow, Cognitive Dissident
Co-Founder, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Home(stead) Page: http://www.eff.org/~barlow

Fist Phone: 800/654-4322

Barlow in Meatspace Today: San Diego   619/424-4000

Coming soon to: Los Angeles 6/4-5, Pinedale 6/6-11, Seattle 6/11-13, San
Francisco 6/14-15...

There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is
all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very
simplest things, and because it takes a man's life to know them, the little
new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he
has to leave.

                                  -- Ernest Hemingway

---