Anonymous on Mon, 19 May 1997 23:04:47 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> THE DIGITAL ARTISANS MANIFESTO

THE DIGITAL ARTISANS MANIFESTO

MAKING THE FUTURE

1.  We are the digital artisans. We celebrate the Promethean power of our
    labour and imagination to shape the virtual world. By hacking, coding,
    designing and mixing, we build the wired future through our own efforts
    and inventiveness.
2.  We are not the passive victims of uncontrollable market forces and
    technological changes. Without our daily work, there would be no goods or
    services to trade. Without our animating presence, information
    technologies would just be inert metal, plastic and silicon. Nothing can
    happen inside cyberspace without our creative labour. We are the only
    subjects of history.
3.  The emergence of the Net signifies neither the final triumph of economic
    alienation nor the replacement of humanity by machines. On the contrary,
    the information revolution is the latest stage in the emancipatory project
    of modernity. History is nothing but the development of human freedom.
4.  We will shape the new information technologies in our own interests.
    Although they were originally developed to reinforce hierarchical power,
    the full potential of the Net and computing can only be realised through
    our autonomous and creative labour. We will transform the machines of
    domination into the technologies of liberation.
5.  We will contribute to the process of democratic emancipation. As digital
    artisans, we will come together to promote the development of our trade.
    As citizens, we will participate within republican politics. As Europeans,
    we will help to break down national and ethnic barriers both inside and
    outside of our continent.

THE PRESENT MOMENT

6.  Freedom today is now often just the choice between commodities rather the
    ability to determine our own lives. Over the past two hundred years, the
    factory system has dramatically increased our material wealth at the cost
    of removing all meaningful participation in work. Even poorer members of
    European societies can now live better than the kings and aristocrats of
    earlier times. However the joys of consumerism are usually constrained by
    the boredom of most jobs.
7.  Since 1968, the desire for increased monetary rewards has increasingly
    been supplemented by demands for increased autonomy at work. In the
    European Union and elsewhere, neo-liberals have tried to recuperate these
    aspirations through their policies of marketisation and privatisation.
    If we are talented workers in the 'cutting-edge' industries like hypermedia
    and computing, we are promised the possibility of becoming hip and rich
    entrepreneurs by the Californian ideologues. They want to recruit us as
    members of the 'virtual class' which seeks to dominate the hypermedia and
    computing industries.
8.  Yet these neo-liberal panaceas provide no real solutions. Free market
    policies don't just brutalise our societies and ignore environmental
    degradation. Above all, they cannot remove alienation within the
    workplace. Under neoliberalism, individuals are only allowed to exercise
    their own autonomy in deal-making rather than through making things. We
    cannot express ourselves directly by constructing useful and beautiful
    virtual artifacts.
9.  For those of us who want to be truly creative in hypermedia and
    computing, the only practical solution is to become digital artisans. The
    rapid spread of personal computing and now the Net are the technological
    expressions of this desire for autonomous work. Escaping from the petty
    controls of the shopfloor and the office, we can rediscover the individual
    independence enjoyed by craftspeople during proto-industrialism. We
    rejoice in the privilege of becoming digital artisans.
10. We create virtual artifacts for money and for fun. We work both in the
    money-commodity economy and in the gift economy of the Net. When we take a
    contract, we are happy to earn enough to pay for our necessities and
    luxuries through our labours as digital artisans. At the same time, we
    also enjoy exercising our abilities for our own amusement and for the
    wider community. Whether working for money or for fun, we always take pride
    in our craft skills. We take pleasure in pushing the cultural and technical
    limits as far forward as possible. We are the pioneers of the modern.
11. The revival of artisanship is not a return to a low-tech and
    impoverished past. Skilled workers are best able to assert their autonomy
    precisely within the most technologically advanced industries. The new
    artisans are better educated and can earn much more money. In earlier
    stages of modernity, factory labourers symbolised of the promise of
    industrialism. Today, as digital artisans, we now express the emancipatory
    potential of the information age. We are the promise of history.
12. We not only admire the individualism of our artisan forebears, but also
    we will learn from their sociability. We are not petit-bourgeois egoists.
    We live within the highly collective institutions of the market and the
    state. For many people, autonomy over their working lives has often also
    involved accepting the insecurity of shortterm contracts and the withdrawal
    of welfare provisions. We can only mitigate these problems through our own
    collective action. As digital artisans, we need to come together to
    promote our common interests.
13. We believe that digital artisans within this continent now need to form
    their own craft organisation. In early modernity, artisans enhanced their
    individual autonomy by organising themselves into trade associations. We
    proclaim that the collective expression of our trade will be: the European
    Digital Artisans Network (EDAN).

THE AIMS OF THE EUROPEAN DIGITAL ARTISANS NETWORK

14. We urge everyone who is working within hypermedia, computing and
    associated professions on this continent to join EDAN. We call on digital
    artisans to form branches of the network in each of the member states of
    the European Union and its associated countries. By forming EDAN, we will
    also be creating a means of forging links between European digital
    artisans and those from elsewhere in the world. We will strive for
    cooperation in work and in play with our fellow artisans in all countries.
15. We believe that the principal task of EDAN is to enhance the exercise of
    our craft skills. By collaborating together, we can protect ourselves
    against those who wish to impose their selfinterests upon us. By having a
    strong collective identity, we will enjoy more individual autonomy over
    our own working lives.
16. EDAN will celebrate our creative genius as digital artisans. The network
    will act as the collective memory about the achievements of digital
    artisans within Europe. It will publicise outstanding 'masterpieces' of
    craft skill made by its members among the trade and to the wider public.
17. The network will be the social meeting-place for digital artisans from
    across Europe. EDAN will organise festivals, conferences and congresses
    where we can meet to organise, discuss and party. We believe that digital
    artisans should express their collective identity by regularly celebrating
    together in private and public.
18. EDAN will collect detailed knowledge about the trade in the different
    regions of Europe. It will aim to provide information about best
    practice in contracts, copyright agreements and other business arrangements
    to its members. The network will also be a source of contacts in each
    locality for digital artisans looking for work in different areas of
    Europe.
19. We believe that what cannot be organised by our own autonomous efforts
    can only be provided through democratic political institutions. The
    network will lobby for changes in local, national and European legislation
    which can enhance our working lives as digital artisans. As concerned
    citizens, we will also support the fullest development of public welfare
    services.
20. EDAN will campaign for European governments to put more resources into the
    theoretical and practical education of digital artisans in schools and
    universities. The network will facilitate links between educational
    institutions teaching hypermedia and computing across the continent. EDAN
    also believes that publicly-funded research is necessary for the fullest
    development of our industry.
21. EDAN will urge the European Union to launch a public works programme to
    build a broadband fibreoptic network linking all households and
    businesses. We believe in the principle of universal service: everyone
    should have Net access at the cheapest possible price. No society can call
    itself truly democratic until all citizens can directly exercise their
    right to media freedom over the Net.
22. We will campaign for the creation of 'electronic public libraries' where
    on-line educational and cultural resources are made accessible to everyone
    for free. Public investment in digital methods of delivering life-long
    learning is needed to create an information society. The Net should become
    the encyclopedia of all knowledge: the primary resource for the new
    Enlightenment.
23. We believe that the role of the hi-tech gift economy should be further
    enhanced. As the history of the Net has shown, d.i.y. culture is now an
    essential part of the process of social development. Without hacking,
    piracy, shareware and open architecture systems, the limitations of the
    money-commodity economy would have prevented the construction of the Net.
    EDAN also supports open access as means of people beginning to learn the
    skills of hypermedia and computing. The promotion of d.i.y. culture within
    the Net is now a precondition for the successful construction of
    cyberspace.
24. We are the digital artisans. We are building the information society of
    the future. We have come together to advance our collective interests and
    those of our fellow citizens. We are organised as the European Network of
    Digital Artisans. Join us.

    Digital Artisans of Europe Unite!

---