Vuk Cosic on Sat, 15 Feb 97 00:43 MET

nettime: I was in Belgrade, a late night nostalgia

   I spoke to Irena while we ate our breakfast in the "Aca" bakery,
best in town. We discuss about everything, and that is nice. She
likes to come to Belgrade with me, and this is our second time. We
bought lots of funny badges and photos of the demonstrations later,
and have even made a little web divertissement about Milosevic's
wife, the cannibal.

<!--
If I'm not to tired, I'll put it on the server
after I write these paragraphs. Check:
http://www.ljudmila.org/~vuk/mira/
-->

   I spoke to my friend Milos who is a Saatchi designer, making New
Moment, a known magazine about nothing. He is probably the nicest man
in town, and thinks NL is the country to live in ("best design and
best people"). When people make noise for the tv news, he puts his
guitar amplifyer to the window and tunes an old strato for half an
hour. He now has a new girlfriend Marija that I liked very much -
Milos likes Irena and we joked about swiching.... but never told the
girls. I think I don't like that.

   I spoke to my friend Talent who is a very good artist (and I will
do a web site with him one day). He told me of his brain tumor, and
I was sad. Then we went to the flea market where we had a great
time. We bought things. Once, when we were leaning against a cordon
of armed policemen, he was shouting at people that wanted to talk to
these killers that have hurt about 300 people the previous night on
the bridge. Talent is very nervous at times, and I hope he'll be
better soon. I often think of him as of my best friend, when I am
confronted with a form that asks me that question. He comes to
Ljubljana few times a year, and everybody loves his work. I am so
proud.

   I spoke to my friend Tanja, she used to be Talent's girlfriend,
but is now with Dusan the famous sax player with whom I went to Paris
for some education. Tanja is an architect and nervous (many Belgrade
friends are so). She is allwas carying her whistle, and other
paraphernalia... I think it looks good on her, but I didn't find the
good moment to tell her that. She is now learning some 3D graphics,
but doesn't  want to tell me more. One evening we were all sitting at
my place when Philip called to say we should stay in because police
is beating everybody that wears a badge, or a whistle, or tennis
shoes - Tanja had all of that. That was the bridge night when all
those people were hurt. Sasa came then to install some extra RAM in
my brothers computer, and I showed some net.art to my dearest friends
that night. Later Tanja said it was a nice night.

   I spoke very little to my friend Dejana, she is Talent's
girlfriend now and makes amasing art fashion. I think she's a bit of
maniac when it comes to her work. She is also using the humorous
interface very nicely, and I like her very much too.

   I spoke to my new friend Drazen, he is running B92 net activities,
and is a hero of Real Audio. We allways make lots of plans, and I
think that is typical for people that first met online, and then have
to use every moment of the actual meeting to plot. This is
pathological with some people I know, such as myself. We will meet in
Rotterdam tomorrow, Drazen and I.

   I spoke to my friend Sonja, and she is one tough bich. On the wall
in her office there's a photo with Al Gore who is vice president of
America, and America is a big country. She's one of my dearest my
mother's friends actually, and is head of Soros, so I now know all
about their satelite and non-satelite connectivity problems. We spoke
of old times, but she rememberd some real old ones, so I left. There
I spoke to one more of mother's friends, she is Vera, and is very
dear to me. We wrote a poem together for my fanzine fifteen years
ago.

   I spoke to my friend Mileta who is a painter and a writer. He gave
me a mountain of his new books and catalogues. Other friends call him
the minister because he will be one in the oposition government,
once it will be made. He spoke serousely about the demonstrations,
and gave me some juice that was real good. On the  way back to my
place I saw very many people in their windows wistling.

   I spoke to my friend Dejan who runs SCCA, we exchanged plenty of
materials, and I gave him ZKP3.2.1. He was at our first meeting in
Venice, I draged him there from an opening. He met Diana in Novi Sad
and got the ZKP3. He reads a lot, and appreciates these volumes. He
told me of that "Cordon Bleu" week - that's when the students made a
cordon in front of a police one. They stood there for a week and have
organized a real program for the policeman. Well, Dejan told me of
the "art cordon" when artists came with plenty of mirrors. He said
that's the only time the police didn't look dangerous. And he said he
shivvered.

   I spoke to my friend Debeli (that means "the fat guy", and we
call him that because he is tall) he makes films. Some people I don't
know came to his flat, and I met the organizers of the strike at the
national TV. They told me how the boss tryed to bribe them with
mobile phones. They said no, and are heroes now.

   And I spoke to many other people too, the taxi drivers, the Skart
designers, and more. They were all talking almost only about
Milosevic, and I had a great time listening how critical a critical
mass can be. The last day of my stay, Milosevic said he will
recognise the elections results that have started the demonstrations.
Nobody believed him, and I left satisfyed.

   Now I am very tired and have no great ideas about how to end
this intimate report.

bingo