Geert Lovink on Wed, 15 Jan 97 07:56 MET

nettime: Ivo Skoric/Peace and Democracy

qi
From: "Ivo Skoric" <iskoric@igc.apc.org>
Subject: Peace and Democracy

Zagreb's Radio 101 and Belgrade's Radio B92 are by know the most
listened Internet Radio stations: their broadcasts are daily updated
on web pages around the world and hours of daily broadcasts are
avilable from various Real Audio servers. Check them out through:
http://www.peacenet.org/balkans/indie.html#101
http://www.peacenet.org/balkans/indie.html#b92

-/-

In its response to Croatian government's accusations of tax evasion
Open Society Fund stood by its employees in Croatia, emphasising that
they understood their position in Croatia as a humanitarian
organization s=which was by law tax-exempt. The method which was used
in prosecution of OSI-Croatia's top executives - to declare them
guilty in public before the trial - underlines the political nature
of the process. President Tudjman, on numerous occasions, accused OSI
of working against him, his government and his state, describing
OSI's efforts in helping independent media in Croatia as "dangerous
alien ideology." His accusations often were untrue - like when he
said that OSI gave money to opposition parties in Croatia. Also,
the OSI statement describes a recent event in which Croatian police
unlawfully seized $65,000 from two OSI employees on Slovenian-Croatian
border crossing. You know the old proverb: the one who lies, shall
also steal...

On January 22 Radio 101's temporary license will expire. While I
expect that they will be allowed to broadcast for the next 8 or 9
days until the Telecommunications Council reconvene, we cannot
predict what will be the vote this time, and would they be able to
win its permanent license or not. Obviously, pressuring the
government that it must grant 101 the permanent license, undermines
the local democratic process. Ideally, Telecommunications Council
will apply common sense and grant that license 'cum grano salis', but
Croatia is far from an ideal country. Telecommunications Council is a
bureaucratic body comprised of brown-noses from different walks of
government which makes its decisions usually arbitrary and perhaps
capriciously against those who do not carry out the governing party
directives. Further developments therefore should be closely watched.

-/-

During the celebration of Serbian New Year (Orthodox Christians still
hold on to the old calendar, so holidays are two weeks later) half a
million people crowded Belgrade streets. Police allowed holidays to
pass undisturbed, so demonstrants and opposition leaders behaved
victoriously. Some of them maybe too victoriously. Vuk Draskovic (who
for some reasons irresistibly reminds me of Franjo Tudjman), tasting
the power, had his bodyguard Zvonko Osmanlic hold student leader Cedo
Antic for his collar in order to prevent him reaching the stage and
wishing fellow Serbs a Happy New Year in the name of the Student
Protest board. Is this the 'democracy' Vuk is promising to Serbs? If
he behaves like that now (students were good to make counter-cordons
against Milosevic's police, but they are not welcome to share the
spotlight when the police danger is not around), what would he do if
he actually seizes the power? Will he be just another in a sad
procession of Balkan leaders who believe that democracy is a good
political principle only while it serves their own political promotion?

Kristalnacht: also, during the New Years celebration the windows of Belgrade
Mosque were smashed. It was seventh time during the wartime years that
Belgrade Mosque was damaged. This also leaves us with a bitter taste...

-/-

In Kosovo, Kosovo Libaration Army (KLA) executed an Albanian
collaborator with the Serbian regime. KLA, which awfully reminds of
IRA, is however not nearly as effective. In fact, for all those years
of war in former Yugoslavia, Kosovo Albanians kept curiously low
profile. Of course, they were under complete military control by
Belgrade government. Anyway, it always stroke me as strange that
neither Tudjman nor Izetbegovic found military useful to sponsor KLA,
let's say, to blow up a few buildings in Belgrade. Such tactics might have
woken up Belgrade citizens against their regime much earlier. Of
course KLA would not be able to do it without an outside support.
Which never came. Although a thought about sponsoring a terrorist
organization is despicable as it is, I see the logistic advantage for
Croatia and Bosnia in doing that. The fact that their governments did
not do it, just contributes to the various conspiracy theories about
secret agreements... ...or maybe KLA is actually sponsored by Slobo,
after all they killed an Albanian, and they make Albanians look bad.

-/-

The letter that Biljana Plavsic, the iron lady of Republika Srpska,
sent to UN, if it wouldn't be considering such a serious matter like
extradition of war criminals, would be laughable. Her main point is
that since the war crimes are not committed any more, the war
criminals should not be prosecuted, because they are essential for
rebuilding of Republika Srpska's society. If she consulted any lawyer
on the planet, she would be told that there is no statute of
expiration for war crimes. Some of Nazi war criminals were prosecuted
well 40 years after the war was over and Germany was already a
prosperous democratic state, which it became without any contribution
of its past war criminals. As for Republika Srpska war criminals like
Dr. Karadzic being good neighbors and family men, well, we all know
that Dr. Mengele was a good, silent neighbor and an exemplar pater
familias as well.

-/-

One of my Croat friends wrote to me that the Balkans has a saying:
may God help that my neighbor's cow dies. He also said that what we
are observing now is a Serbian cow dying (Milosevic), while he always
thought that if you hate the neighbor, why would you wish his cow - a
relatively innocent unknowing being - to die, instead of just wishing
your neighbor slow and painful death? I.e. he'd rather see Serbia
destroyed (utterly, completely, like Hiroshima), than Milosevic
ousted of power and Serbia eerily rehabilitated facing the world.

I sensed such thinking among a lot of Croats and Bosnians. It is
emotional stance with the for Balkans not atypical lack of common
sense: if we pulverize Belgrade with atomic bomb there will be
radioactive dust everywhere and not long after it will cover Zagreb
and Sarajevo as well. This is just a metaphor of how important for
the Balkans is to have Serbia as a stable democracy, and not as a
terrorist breeding ground and a continuous menacing threat to Bosnia
and Croatia. But, on the other hands, maybe Croatian and Bosnian
regime want Serbia just as it is, so that they can keep themselves in
power based on that perceived threat.

ivo

Ivo Skoric ***** iskoric@igc.apc.org
212.369.9197