John Perry Barlow on Wed, 3 Jul 96 00:23 MDT

Re: nettime: CDA/Barlow

At 1:07 PM -0600 7/1/96, Andreas Broeckmann wrote:
>even Barlow himself indicated that it
>might be untenable in its present form.

I'm not sure I said that. I did admit that I might have said it better. But
I will stick with the fundamental premise of the Declaration, a premise
supported by the Judges in Philadelphia: No single existing world
government has the right, the authority, or the ability to stifle the Great
Conversation of Cyberspace.

>Both statements, the CDA and the
>Declaration, seem to have neglected very important aspects of the reality
>of global network communication, its nature, its diversity, and its
>limitations.

Of the various insults I've endured over this, Andreas, I'd have to say
that comparing my Declaration with the CDA is about the nastiest. Kindly
illuminate how I neglected the reality of global network communication.

Yrs,

John Perry

John Perry Barlow, Cognitive Dissident
Co-Founder, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Home(stead) Page: http://www.eff.org/~barlow

Message Service: 800/634-3542

Barlow in Meatspace Today: Salt Lake City, Utah  801/582-5035

Coming soon to: Dusseldorf 7/3-5, Sophia Antipolis, France 7/6-7, New York
City 7/8-10, Pinedale, Wyoming 7/10-14, Mallorca 7/15-16, Barcelona 7/17,
New York City...

In Memoriam, Dr. Cynthia Horner, Jerry Garcia, and Timothy Leary

As the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed,
the Internet deserves the highest protection from governmental
intrusion.

                     -- Judge Stewart