Matthew Smith on Tue, 7 May 96 17:01 MDT

Re: distribution

On Tue, 7 May 1996, John Horvath wrote:

> I think you misread the idea of controlling distribution. This means
> exactly what you said, that *you* control the distribution of your *own*
> material, not having to go through any regulations like you do with radio
> or TV.

ok, i misunderstood *you*, but the point is that even if u control the
content, there is no guarantee that somebody else will not browse along,
take ur stuff and work it over in a completely different context and
re-distribute it -- without u being in control.

 Just because the net is now unregulated, it does not mean that
> governments will not try to find a way to do so. To believe in the
> opposite is to align yourself with Barlow et al that we are safe in
> cyberspace, the "new home of Mind". Suit yourself, or to quote from the
> Doobie Brothers, "What a Fool Believes."

thx for telling me what i believe;)
2 put it bluntly: i think the days of free & ezy disembodied life on the
net r numbered. CDA and chinese law r the first steps as we all know, and
the set-top-box culture propagated by the big companies will be the final
one.

musical tip 4 u & especially 4 Mr.Barlow: "California ueber alles" by the
Dead Kennedys - check it out

matt