t byfield on Wed, 27 Dec 95 09:39 MET

Art in America (Art 'R' Us)

        I just stumbled onto this essay (at
<http://english-www.hss.cmu.edu/bs/ 20/Byfield.html>, which I'd completely
forgotten about. I whipped off last spring for a student journal at
Berkeley, _Bad Subjects_, which is associated with an informal cultural
studies mailing list <bad@english.hss.cmu.edu>. The essay was written after
a flamewar about the social virtues of aesthetics (as though we had any
choice); a lot of people on the mailing list seemed to believe that art and
artists are, as someone put it, "elite." (Heh heh.) Anyway: as a result,
the essay is very American in its concerns. (The essay's name, "Art 'R' Us'
is a reference to the U.S.'s first national toy-store chain, "Toys 'R'
Us'.)
        So much for the apologia.