Brian Holmes on Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:24:54 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Germany's geopolitics

Three cheers for ditching Schmitt, it's a crude and populist "why" explanation. I only mentioned the name because Pit offered a critical article about German geopolitics. What Pit actually has to say is much different and much more valuable:

"What is needed are new types of assemblies that will facilitate the green transition in record time, which at first has to be a
technological project, and from there is engineered by social, cultural, political, economic processes. the planetary organisation
that will facilitate this is most likely not simply following the USA as the internal systemic contradictions are obviously too great."

This is exactly what I am concerned about. I think the entrenched interlinks between US corporate, financial, diplomatic and military strategies - revealed in undeniable detail by the Wikileaks cables - are just too sedimented on the Cold War model, which aims at commercial hegemony backed by military force. This is the model that produced the "Great Acceleration" by the way, or what I call the Anthopocene mode of production (1). In the past the US delivered many global public goods that made this hegemony work: military security; Taylorist/Fordist organization; public science and advanced education; global norms and standards; multilateral diplomacy; pop culture and global English (2). In the course of the neoliberal period especially, all of these except maybe the norms and standards began turning to global public bads. But the point is not to just dump the US, as Pit is careful to point out. If the EU and its "Franco-German locomotive" do not play the bridging role, then the rebooting of the NATO alliance system will prolong the agony of the Cold War hegemony, and we will miss the narrow window of maybe-opportunity to do something about climate change. The hopes that were invested during the last decade in the Tian Xia/All Under Heaven philosophy will just collapse into great power rivalries, proxy wars, and worse.

Who are the thinkers, statesmen, policy-makers in the EU that are advancing a positive bridging role? How to make the Old Continent into something more than a big consumer market? How to keep China from pursuing a great-power type hegemony, and instead, encourage it to provide the global public goods of the climate-change era? Such ideas are urgent right now.

It is clear that Germany, unfortunately, has pursued a geoeconomic competition strategy with respect to China, which itself appears dead set on that kind of competition. Recently Germany has aimed at a strategic "decoupling" not so different from the US approach, in the face of China's own attempt to position itself at the top of crucial value chains, especially in the less-developed world. In his book on the Belt and Road initiative, Bruno Macaes captures the precise turning point:

"In Germany the general view of China has been steadily changing, as many in the German industry realize that the times when the two economies benefited from perfect complementarity are almost certainly behind us. The strategic industries where China wants to become the dominant global player are just those that Germany chose for its own industrial plans: robotics, automated vehicles, aerospace, artificial intelligence. Whereas one or two decades ago Germany could export its machinery to China sure in the knowledge that no Chinese firm could make the same sophisticated machines - and these were the machines China needed for its industrial and infrastructure boom - now Chinese competitors are present in the same sectors, a shift that was accelerated by European suppliers selling co-designed parts to the Chinese. In early August 2018 the German government decided to ban for the first time the sale of a German company to a Chinese suitor - a watershed moment. The decision to block the sale of machine tool company Leifeld Metal Spinning AG to a Chinese company came after an extensive review that led the government to conclude that such a transaction would be a risk to “public order and safety”. Chancellor Merkel's government wants to keep the company’s expertise in the field of rocket and nuclear technology out of Chinese hands. It remained unclear whether national security arguments were being used to address economic concerns about the loss of key technologies to China."(3)

I do not have the antennas to go deep into German or EU industrial policy, much less grand strategy. But the slightest appeal to the Reuters newswire shows that these trends continue today (4). I would be glad to hear more about it.

Pit's ideas on "new types of assemblies" are in pretty good sync with Bruno Latour's reflections in his last, co-written publication, "On the emergence of an ecological class." Except Latour would probably put the cultural factors first. I'm not sure about that, but culture is the only thing I could begin to work on. My friends at Casa Rio in Argentina are now engaging a collaboration with researchers in China to better understand what happens to the soybean exports that are deforesting the lungs of the world, and destroying the hydrological cycle in South America. Our first principle is not to demonize the Chinese people. They just want enough to eat. What we are looking at in the world today is a massive trap. Ukraine has, through no fault of its own, become the place where the trap is being sprung, but its mechanism is far bigger. It's the twentieth-century industrial model, the "Anthropocene mode of production," with deeper foundations in European colonialism, nineteenth-century imperialism and many dynamics further afield. How do we grasp all this? How do we take apart all those springs and gears and hamster wheels?

Here's to the future of the "international extra-parliamentary and intersectional peace movement, perhaps to the sound of Korean pop with synthetic voices co-composed by AI" !!!

best Chicago ciaos, Brian

1. Those who think I provide only phoney 'why' explanations could check out an attempt to retrace the multiple threads that came together in the atomic bomb project that became the centerpiece of US hegemony in the mid 20th century: "Born Secret: A Field Guide to the Anthropocene Mode of Production," published in The Anthropocene Review, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053019620975803. Seriously tldr though, don't bother, just watch the video instead, https://vimeo.com/374696808.

2. The best book by far on the components of US hegemony, and hegemony generally, is Robert W. Cox, Production, Power, and World Order: Social Forces in the Making of History (Columbia UP, 1987).

3. Bruno Macaes, Belt and Road: A Chinese World Order (Hurst and Co, 2018).

4. See for example: https://www.reuters.com/world/germanys-new-china-strategy-guided-by-ideology-ambassador-says-2023-01-08 and https://www.reuters.com/markets/exclusive-german-economy-ministry-reviews-measures-curb-china-business-2022-09-08.