d . garcia on Wed, 15 Feb 2023 13:53:31 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Stormy weather?

Brian's original Stormy Weather post semed designed to wake up the many of us who feel we are all sleep walking towards the precipice. I couldn't help remembering the book “Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914” (Christopher Clark. 2012).

The title alone seems an apt way to describe our own political elites. But the book might also offer something useful in Clarke’s particular way of engaging differently with the ‘how’ and the ‘why’ in his complex geopolitical analysis of the road to the “Great War”. In the introduction he points out that although *how* and *why* are logically inseparable they lead in two directions. The *how* invites us to look closely at the sequences of interactions that produced certain outcomes [….] whilst the *why* invites us to go in search of remote categorical causes; imperialism, nationalism, armaments, alliances, high finance…ideas of national honour… [we might substitute colonialism, neo-liberalism, capitalism etc] “The why brings about a certain analytical clarity, but it also has a distorting effect, because it creates the illusion of a steadily building causal pressure [….] political actors become mere executors of forces long established and beyond their control.”

In contrast Clark asserts that his story “is saturated, with agency” … decision makers at all levels from emperors to lesser officials (or even assassins) walked towards danger in watchful calculated steps.” […] His aim is to let the why answers grow out of the how answers rather than the other way around… Once we pose the question why responsibility or even guilt becomes the overriding focal point.

It may not offer us much, but it just seemed that Clark’s approach might help us guard against us so over-regarding the explanatory power of large-scale historical forces that we underestimate the importance of amplifying our own collective and individual agency in confronting the power wielded by key (or elite) political actors. It might mitigate against the overwhelming feeling of impotence that sometimes seems to turn the least and the best us all into sleepwalkers.