Michael Guggenheim on Tue, 14 Feb 2023 10:49:24 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Stormy weather? Daniele Ganser edit

Dear Nettimers and Hans-Christian,

D’Eramo’s NLR sidecar article indeed contained a reference to Daniele Ganser, but it was a little bit more than a reference (I copy the whole passage into the email further down below). As you can see from the passage, D’Eramo does not just cite Ganser, but really advertise Ganser, and seems to be well aware of who he is: “Swiss Historian”, book available in x-languages but “not yet in English”.

For those outside the German speaking world: Ganser is a notorious conspiracy theorist, anti-semite (The unvaccinated are like the jews in Germany in the 1930s), anti-vaxxer etc. He indeed used to be a “historian” or rather a security analyst at ETH Zurich, and lost his job there over his conspiracy theories. Since then, he has built an online business model, selling “courses” on “inner peace” “content: Denigration, Digital Detox, Forest, Hope” or “Consciousness creates Peace” “content: Values, Deception, Corona, Awareness”. You get it.
If you want more info, begin with his German wikipedia page here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniele_Ganser
Or read this article in a respected Swiss left weekly (before he went completely off rail during COVID):
https://www.woz.ch/1703/wahrheit-und-verschwoerung/das-ganser-phaenomen

The book that D’Eramo is referring to indeed contains a mixture of left hits: Everything is NATO’s fault, combined with highlights of the right behind all of this, maybe, are the, you know, Bilderbergs.

There would obviously have been plenty of better serious historical sources that D’Eramo could advertise that critically discuss the role of NATO, the US, and the CIA during the Cold War.

I sent an email to NLR alerting them to this quote. Maybe I was not the only one. I was hoping, and suggesting, they would add a comment to D’Eramo’s text, explaining who Ganser is, and maybe asking D’Eramo to explain to the reader why he included the passage. Instead they deleted it, without leaving a note as to the alteration of the text.

I understand that the editors of NLR may not know who Ganser is, and that they cannot be expected to check every reference in every text.

Given the passage in the text, I doubt that D’Eramo does not know who Ganser is.

I would have hoped that the editorial standards of NLR go beyond simply deleting the passage.

best
Michael

Deleted from: https://newleftreview.org/sidecar/posts/sleepwalking-elites

And Russia’s unjustifiable invasion of Ukraine doesn’t absolve NATO of its responsibility in producing the conflict. (To get an idea of the Atlantic Alliance’s ‘pacifist’ vocation, it’s worth reading Swiss historian Daniele Ganser’s 2022 book NATO’s Illegal Wars, available in German, French and Italian, not yet in English). In today’s world, we rely on elites – technocrats, the ‘cognitive aristocracy’ – to pilot us through perilous waters with their superior wisdom.

Passage now reads:

And Russia’s unjustifiable invasion of Ukraine doesn’t absolve NATO of its responsibility in producing the conflict. In today’s world, we rely on elites – technocrats, the ‘cognitive aristocracy’ – to pilot us through perilous waters with their superior wisdom.

nettime-l@mail.kein.org