Alex Foti on Tue, 14 Feb 2023 07:22:17 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Stormy weather?

The polycrisis Brian is detailing (the end of peace, neoliberalism, human history) in my view makes a shared ideological understanding necessary for all those forces that are critical of capitalism and have long abandoned the marxist-leninist redux (which can justify repression of hong kong and putin's war crimes). The basic contradiction as kohei saito and the monthly reviewers have been saying is between capital and nature - labor can unseat capital if it works with those forces that wanna overthrow fossilism and patriarchy.

we can debate whether this is gonna be a red black green thing or a pink black green thing - autonomist and/or anarchist - eco+trans+fem and in many other ways - and we feel that the congress for climate justice in milano could start sketching a horizon, strategies, campaigns in a sort of First Internationale of movements against fossil capitalism and petrofeudalism which we hope will then be replicated in other cities around the world to constitute what the Transnational Social Strike Assembly has termed "the radical faction of the climate front".

neoliberalism is dead but oligotech is very much alive and the fascists are threatening america and brazil, while italy has succumbed to nazipopulism threading on the footsteps of hungary and poland. social democracy is unable to create a modern statist alternative to the crisis of market globalization, while the greens are emerging as the middle-class and young alternative to conservatism and reaction, but are unable to push reform of carbon-intensive capitalism to the level that's needed to stave off catastrophe (see Luetzerath, where Greta and FFF converged on the direct-action disobedience tactics of the German autonomist movement - Ende Gelaende - while the greens shamefully defended the deal with cdu and spd to save coal and ditch nuclear). Much as social democracy was about industrial fordism, ecological democracy is about green capitalism - problem is capitalism will never decarbonize fast enough to prevent thermal death for a billion people - it's promethean and cannot control scale even if everything went water, wind and solar.

So the problem of a modern, genZ-relevant anticapitalism becomes a civilizational challenge and we wanna do that with 20somethings as well as middle-aged activists like me. Hope that you can sign the call like Brian Holmes did and you can bring your ideas and strategies to Milano. There will be around 300 delegates from many parts of the world, and we'll be subsidizing travel for African and Latin American activists. Nettimers will be given a preference;)

best ciaos to friends near and far,
Alex
PS updated list of individual signatures:
Alex Foti, Milan – Penny Travlou, Athens/Edinburgh – Tadzio Mueller, Berlin – Eric Collard, Liège – Lissy Romanow, Brooklyn – Nicola Carella, Berlin/Bari – Francesca Coin, Lugano/Milan – Gianluca Grimalda Kiel/Milan – Al Mikey, London – Bruno Montesano Rome/Turin – John Sinha, London – Giulio Fatti, Jinjiu – Emanuele Leonardi, Parma – Emanuele Cozzo, Barcelona – Slim Essaker, Liège – Kaz Sakurada, Osaka – Andreas Malm, Lund – Francesca Maremonti, Berlin – Joshua Eichen, Portland – Peppe Allegri, Rome –  Nicola Villa, Milano/Rome – Lorenzo Teodonio/Romea – Federico Scirchio, Milan – Enrico Pirovano, Milano – Jacopo Pallagrosi,  Roma/Pavia – Micol Meghnagi, Roma/Dublino – Dario Bassani, Roma/Torino – Simone Caputo, Rome – Maria Chiara Franceschelli, Florence – Marco Spagnuolo, Paris – Elisatron Valtolina, Milan – Ferdinando Pezzopane, Turin - Giorgio De Girolamo, Lucca/Pisa - Veronica Pecile, Zurich – Abo Di Monte, Milan – Francesco Sticchi, Oxford Brookes University – Mathias Wåg, Stockholm – Teo Colò, Milan – Marco Palma, Bologna – Sisco, La Spezia – Cedric Jonckheere, Liège – Emanuele Braga, Milan/Berlin – Alessandro Delfanti, Toronto – Francesco Fortinguerra, Milan – Caterina Orsenigo, Milan – Luca Trada, Milan – Marco Pitò, Brussels – Manu Louis, Berlin/Valencia – Francesca Sconnessioni, Milan – Daniele Molteni, Milan – Nicola Vallinoto, Genoa/Rome – Aidah Nakku, Kampala – Joshua Omonuk, Kampala – Lorenzo Velotti/Barcelona, Andreas Petrossiants, e-flux, New York – Caterina Orsenigo, Milano – Bani Brusadin, Barcelona – Brian Holmes, Chicago – Elena Climate Social Camp, Turin – Michael Hardt, Durham – Teo Comet, Brussels