Luke Munn on Wed, 21 Dec 2022 01:27:09 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Spamming the Data Space – CLIP, GPT and synthetic data

Interesting essay Francis, and always appreciate Brian's thoughtful comments. I think the historical angle Brian is pointing towards is important as a way to push against the claims of AI models as somehow entirely new or revolutionary.

In particular, I want to push back against this idea that this is the last 'pure' cultural snapshot available to AI models, that future harvesting will be 'tainted' by automated content.

Francis' examples of hip hop and dnb culture, with sampling at their heart, already starts to point to the problems with this statement. Culture has always been a project of cutting and splicing, appropriating, transforming, and remaking existing material. It's funny that AI commentators like Gary Marcus talk about GPT-3 as the 'king of pastiche'. Pastiche is what culture does. Indeed, we have whole genres (the romance novel, the murder mystery, etc) that are about reproducing certain elements in slightly different permutations, over and over again.

This is not a recent or purely digital phenomenon. I remember going to a show at the Neue Nationalgalerie, where oil paintings repeatedly reproduced the identical bird in different positions. "A variety of painting styles suggests the involvement of a number of assistants and several motifs can be repeatedly found in an unaltered form in many of his paintings. D’Hondecoeter’s oeuvre consequently appears as a conglomeration of decorative collages, produced in an almost mechanical seriality on the basis of successful formulas." Copy, paste, repeat.

Unspoken in this claim of machines 'tainting' or 'corrupting' culture is the idea of authenticity. It really reminds me of the moral panic surrounding algorithmic news and platform-driven disinformation, where pundits lamented the shift from truth to 'post-truth.'  This is not to suggest that misinformation is not an issue, nor that veracity doesn't matter (i.e. Rohingya and Facebook). But the premise of some halcyon age of truth prior to the digital needs to get wrecked. Yes, Large language models and other AI technologies do introduce new conditions, generating truth claims rapidly and at scale. But rather than hand-wringing about 'fake news,' it's more productive to see how they splice together several truth theories (coherence, consensus, social construction, etc) into new formations. I'm currently writing a paper precisely on this issue with a couple of colleagues.

nga mihi / best,
Luke