Joseph Rabie on Thu, 1 Dec 2022 12:25:29 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Moving Nettime to the Fediverse

Beyond the comparison between email and social media lies that between computer and telephone. While some forms of social media were created for computer web browsing before the arrival of (so-called) smart phones, today the latter constitute the favoured medium of delivery for social media. Maybe this explains the generational gap between those who entered digital culture via computers, and those who entered via both.

One does have the impression that the telephone functions more directly as an appendice for the ego than the computer, and perhaps this explains why social media tends (but without generalising) towards a greater level of posturing and consequent potential for toxicity.

The 2000 character limit proposed for Mastodon implies that it is more orientated towards telephone than computer. Maybe such a limit is good because it canvasses for brevity, which is a virtue, but it also forces simplification or schematisation of complex discourse, for lack of sufficient words, which is damaging.

("Traditional" discussion forum interfaces like the Well were great.)

Joe.