Felix Stalder on Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:59:46 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> From Commons to NFTs: Desire and Ownership.

This is a slightly edited version of a talk I gave at the “Commons to NFTs” conference, organized by Aksioma in Ljubliana, 12.11.2022, for the a launch for the eponymous book we edited together.

Program: https://aksioma.org/from-commons-to-nfts
Video Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/aksioma007/streams
The book: https://aksioma.org/from-commons-to-nfts/publication

Alienation and how to (not) overcome it!

A few days ago, the large crypto-exchange FTX collapsed, after it was discovered that its investment division had used a self-issued currency – created out of thin air – as a collateral to borrow real money for speculation. $ 8 billion, give and take a few hundred millions are missing [1]. Ups. Sorry. In many ways, this should surprise nobody. As one scrolls down “web3 is going great” there is the overwhelming impression that “crypto”, in all its manifestations, is nothing but a series of frauds with a few basic schemes – theft, Ponzi, rug-pull, wash-trade – endlessly varied. And on this level of generality, it’s probably the most accurate thing to say, but this level of generality is usually not particularly interesting.

I want to go a bit deeper. Because there is a lot more animating the crypto sphere than simple, rational, if often criminal, calculations. Rather, running underneath and through these get-rich-quick-schemes are strong currents of desire of a different future, and these desires are surprisingly similar – at some level – to those that have been animating many commons projects over the last 25 years.

The desire I’m talking about is a desire for freedom, or more precisely, a desire to flee what are seen as fundamentally unfair, oppressive social institutions. Or, even more precisely, the desire to overcome alienation and live an authentic life. That we actually don’t really know, or agree on, what it means to live an authentic life, is precisely why so many different ideas and practices can be infused with this desire.

This desire to overcome alienation is, perhaps, the most powerful and long-running desire animating digital culture. And there are two version of this desire that that found their way into digital culture by way of the American counter-culture of the 1960s: A a communitarian and a libertarian one.

But, of course, the prototypical modern desire for authenticity didn’t originate there. So it’s worth to go back a little bit further, to the late 18th early 19th century. Then, as s reaction to the enlightenment and "the cult of reason", romanticism as a counter-movement emerged. It offered a critique of reason and rationality, focusing on what would later be called the “instrumentality of reason” which it argued was draining the world of meaning and turning everything into mere means (human and natural resources). What was offered instead, was what one could call the worship of mystery, as something that was precisely beyond the reach of that kind of instrumentality.

From the beginning, there were two version of mystery. One was, what I would call, the mystery of transcendental power, and one was the mystery of deep communion. Now, these mysteries have a lot of things in common, that’s why it’s easy to flip from one into the others, but it’s worth keeping them apart for the moment.

The mystery of transcendental power, was, of course, initially religion and it’s institutions, most importantly, the Roman-Catholic church. The fought the secularizing tendencies of the enlightenment, as they claimed to represent a power beyond reason. The mode of accessing this type of mystery has always been submission. Over time the form of the transcendental power shape-shifted a few times and there are now conflicting version of it. Besides religion, there is the charismatic leader, that transcends the laws of history, and, most importantly for our purposes, there is also the market.

Emanating from the Austrian School of Economic, particularly Hayek, the market was seen as a mysterious higher power. The market’s functioning, they claimed, was beyond comprehension. For mere mortals to intervene would inevitably lead to disaster, that is, to “the road to serfdom.” Its main feature -- a hand-- was, to complete the famous cryptic image of Adam Smith, ‘invisible’, much like the hand of god. At least the one that doesn’t belong to Diego Maradonna.

The mode of authentic living in this perspective is to accept and submit to the unquestionable, absolute power (in whatever form one believes in it) and seek most direct connection to it, either by removing intermediaries, or accepting only traditional forms of inter-mediation. Once this submission has taken place, one enters a community of true believers and within this community, there is equality in submission. At the end of times, the chosen community will survive, or, if everyone joins this community here and now and it’s unique form of mystery worship, paradise on earth will be realized. In market terms, removing intermediaries is called deregulation: “Let the market work its magic.”

The second mystery was that of communion. Of experiencing direct relationship with someone or something else that is not mediated through reason, language and other forms of cultural framing. Initially, the communion was with nature, as the one force that had been untouched by the industrial revolution and the instrumental calculation that came with it.

There was also a strong spiritual dimension of it, but it was fundamentally a horizontal one, aimed at experiencing the interconnection with the non-human, as we would say today. The way of accessing this mystery was to open up, to overcome the crippling of the senses created by enlightenment and rationality. Like the the mystery of authority, the mystery of communion also shifted its shape over time and now exists in multiple forms. It can be nature, it can be the human community without hierarchy and without rules.

Part of this desire is the belief that if all forms of oppression, in-authenticity, alienation could be removed, things would naturally balance themselves into a state of harmony.

You probably have guessed it, these this desire, in its two versions, animates both the commons and the crypto movement. For the crypto-movement, code is law and one has to submit to that in order to become free and enter the community of believers that are all essentially equal before this higher power. The crypto booster Max Kaiser put it this way: “We stand naked before Satoshi”, as Inte Gloerich recalled. Or the frequent claim that the blockchain would store information “for eternity” (yeah, digital technology doing anything for even a few decades). This element of submission to power, I think, helps to explain the affinity of large parts of the crypto-movement to the far-right.

The belief of returning to or recreating a natural state of harmony is very strong in the commons movement. Perhaps less in its digital aspects, but certainly where its ideas of nature overlap with the esoteric.

While I personally tend to sympathize with the desire for communion and cannot relate to the desire for authority, overall, the desire to overcome alienation and (re)create authenticity is fundamentally problematic. I think the alternative is to embrace the fall from grace, to understand that in order to remake the world, we have to enter into conflictuous relations, give ourselves rules that enable and constrain ourselves and embrace the complexities that come with the ambiguity of existence.

And indeed, the most successful commoning projects have done exactly that and have been arguing over their rules, how to interpret and adapt them, ever since. Nobody would describe Wikipedia as an harmonious community, but, at least so far, it has managed to handle its conflicts in a self-organized and productive matter. Same could be said about most of the large software commons. In the same way, the most interesting crypto project are not those who want abstract away social relations into some trustless nirvana of pure, unambiguous transactions. But rather those who use the possibilities of coding rules for their interaction as a chance to really think about the rules and the kind of social trust they might create. The challenge, then, is to overcome the limits of enlightenment, or instrumental, rationality (technocratic management) without falling into the traps of mysticism.

Thank you very much.

[1] https://www.coindesk.com/markets/2022/11/12/the-epic-collapse-of-sam-bankman-frieds-ftx-exchange-a-crypto-markets-timeline/

--
| |||||||||||||||| http://felix.openflows.com |
| for secure communication, please use signal |