Felix Stalder on Mon, 7 Nov 2022 20:00:49 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Technopolitics of the future

On 27.10.22 20:50, Brian Holmes wrote:
Indeed. The point is now to think those politics, and make their possibilities recognizable.

I think it's pretty obvious that we are living in a period that is characterized by what one could call, with a nod to Durkheim, "total social crises". Meaning, they are not longer restricted to a single sphere -- so neatly separated in the modern liberal thinking -- but play out across the full-range of social domains. Thus any analysis needs to able to understand their interplay.

But what are these domains? David Harvey's recent talk on "Marx’s Historical Materialism"

http://davidharvey.org/2022/01/new-podcast-david-harveys-anti-capitalist-chronicles

summarizes that very clearly, differentiating among seven sets of relations (though there is more than one way to slice the pie):

- technology
- nature
- relations of (re)production (waged and unwaged labor)
- mental conceptions
- relations of everyday life
- political (class) relations
- and systems of governance.

All these sets have what Marx calls a "metabolic relation" to each other, meaning they are dependent on one another and their concrete form can only be understood to through their interdependence. One cannot understand the shape and dynamics of the state without its relation to capital and vice-versa, or, increasingly, without eco-system pressures.

While these domains are related, they also follow their own dynamics, but in that movement, they transform the others as well, or are held back by them. Geo-egineering, for example, is a technological response to eco-system pressures in order to preserve relations of productions and class relations. Black Lives Matter aims to transform mental conceptions in order to dismantal racist/colonialist systems of governance.

Take, for example, the pandemic. It's zoonotic origin indicates a deep problem with our relations to nature. In response, massive technological development (mRNA vaccines, deepening of digitization etc) was coordinated by the government. At the same time, changes in everyday life (lockdown, masking, 'distancing', etc) were introduced, and mental conceptions started to shift. Of course, a massive economic crisis could only be averted by government intervention and the boundaries between productive and reproductive labor shifted.

While you could say the feedback loop built into the "metabolic relations to nature" triggered the pandemic, it's actual dynamics can only be understood by taking into account the dynamic relations between the different domains. The relation between the state and capital was evident both in the state's willingness to finance the vaccines, and in it's commitment to enforce patent monopolies. The importance of mental conceptions became evident in the public reactions to the vaccines. The point is, one cannot reduce on sphere to the other. There is no structure - superstructure relationship.

Neoliberalism (or liberalism more generally) is ideologically unable to address such total phenomena, because of its constitutive commitment to separating the domains.

In the 20th century, in the West, there have been, as far as I can see, three ways of reacting to such 'total crises'. Fascism, Keynesian and 'war efforts'.

At the moment, all three approaches to 'total politics' are bein persued at the same time. The fascist writing is on the wall, it's, at the core, an us-vs-them zero sum game. "We" prosper because "they" suffer. The green new deal is a modernized form of Keynesianism, but more holistic (or 'total') by focussing on the interrelation between all the domains. What Europe is trying to do is a kind of 'war economy', in relation to the actual war but also as a way to speed up the energy transition. While I agree with the direction, I doubt that a technocratic approach can work, not the least because it cannot shape many of the domains that are actively involved shaping the problem. If people freaked out because of a vaccine that was perceived being forced top-down, just wait for the energy restrictions imposed.

But then again, the transformation of the mental conceptions, the understanding of a transformed relationship to nature, are also quite far developed.

The task, it seems, is to bring these bit and pieces, the cultural, the technocratic and segments of the economy, in such a relationship they can pull the rest into a different direction, and phasing out these sectors, particularly of the economy, that cannot or do not want to adapt.

--
| |||||||||||||||| http://felix.openflows.com |
| for secure communication, please use signal |