podinski on Mon, 24 Oct 2022 13:56:45 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Technopolitics of the future

Hi all,

Another very interesting thread indeed...

But the language is perhaps a little ( or highly ? ) inadequate to grapple with the severity of our monstrous present and our dangerously unstable futures. Perhaps if we try to get a little jump on all the speculative nastiness, the toxic, racist and demented visions for the hyper-industrialized mess being invested in, we might get better analysis and paths for the emergency exits if we illuminate this unwholesome merger of the Anthropocene and Technopolitics and The Grand Guignol Lab of Living Subjects and call it:

Unicorn Moonshot Guineapigdom

Or to keep it simple, as the XLterrestrials have tried numerous times:

Techno-fascism

Or somewhat less dramaticly as Lewis Mumford called it:

Authoritarian technics*

re: mRNA developments

One really shouldn't be surprised by these dismal achievements to " hack the body" and " under the skin surveillance" as neoliberal pet and technology soothsayer Yuval Harari calls it. A bit of a futurist (strip)tease that Yuval ! Definitely a significant mega-corp invention in that it appears to open up huge new markets and techno-colonialist territories on the bio-molecular front. We can probably expect all sorts of unpredicted mayhem to come from these profiteering and proprietary agendas + directions...  quite similar to the horrors achieved by the previous corporate age of petro-chemical global dumpster fires.

One of the new elements that Brian raised is that A.I. was a big part of mRNA developments. That would be interesting to know more about how those industries have merged and what sort of kind of trajectories they have planned for an increasingly privatized and commodities-reoriented and globalized Health Care now in the mangling grip of the Data Gold Rush ...

What abominations will be in store without reigning in, regulating or abolishing all the corporate tech madness + social experimentation !

In a quick search...

A major percentage of Google/Alphabet's venture capital flows went into Health Industries... Deep Mind Health, Calico, Editas, Verily, etc.

https://research.aimultiple.com/alphabet-ai/

If we wanna know what attempted storms and disruptions may be coming, might be a good idea to follow how the vulture krapital flies.

Perhaps it is important to know there is hardly anything even remotely Green New Deal-like ahead without confronting the new Guineapigdom game ( and its financialization. See Romain Felli's "The Great Adaptation" on Verso. ) that has now become acceptable to the general public ... even among an intellectual left ? ... b/c apparently the wealth-shovelling corporate techno-fix model was so successful at handling the planet's most lethal health crises ;)

respex !

Podinski

p.s. And extra thanks for Eveline's post...

it does seem that love will be required and central for re-orienting ourselves back into ecological balance, humanity, justice and habitat for all !

“Let us fool ourselves no longer. At the very moment Western nations,
threw off the ancient regime of absolute government, operating under a
once-divine king, they were restoring this same system in a far more
effective form in their technology, reintroducing coercions of a
military character no less strict in the organization of a factory than
in that of the new drilled, uniformed, and regimented army. During the
transitional stages of the last two centuries, the ultimate tendency of
this system might be in doubt, for in many areas there were strong
democratic reactions; but with the knitting together of a scientific
ideology, itself liberated from theological restrictions or humanistic
purposes, authoritarian technics found an instrument at hand that has
now given it absolute command of physical energies of cosmic dimensions.
The inventors of nuclear bombs, space rockets, and computers are the
pyramid builders of our own age: psychologically inflated by a similar
myth of unqualified power, boasting through their science of their
increasing omnipotence, if not omniscience, moved by obsessions and
compulsions no less irrational than those of earlier absolute systems:
particularly the notion that the system itself must be expanded, at
whatever eventual cost to life."

- Lewis Mumford ( 1895-1990 )

Message: 1