Jean-Noël Montagné on Sat, 20 Aug 2022 17:41:48 +0200

Re: <nettime> Biocultural Corridors

Le 19/08/2022 à 04:02, Brian Holmes a écrit :

Thank you for the action, the story, the software.

The big question is this: Do the middle classes - including industrial workers attached to states and large corporations - go fascist under the pressure of rising threats to their old lifestyles and identities, or can we find shareable biocultural pathways toward reparative socio-ecological worlds, and through collaboration with other classes and cultures and races, create neo-ecosystems that can ramp down the causes and mitigate the effects of climate change?

It's not a matter of social class, culture or race, but of scale.

It is too late* to create sufficiently influential neo-ecosystems on a global scale. The globalized capitalist system that extracts resources on one side of the world, refines and assembles them elsewhere, and then markets them everywhere is not reformable in its current structure.

The various eco-fascisms that will be the last manifestations of current capitalism, as they have been predicted and discussed since the 1970s, are temporary. They cannot survive in a meta scale, because of the scarcity of "control" ressources, disorganisation of media, communication and armed power.

But we can create neo-ecosystems at local scale, even during continental or national eco-fascisms. As you can see in South America, as I can see in Europe, this movement has started silently, worlwide, around low-tech, open-source structures, planifyied ressource harvesting et recycling, and small-scale real democracy. In rural areas, mostly.

The attraction of the middle classes for an eco-fascist management of the collapse is temporary, as their dependence on globalisation and high-tech makes their class fragile. But but their nuisance power is great, they can be a trigger for armed unrest in US.

The potential for connection and exchange between small, resilient communities will be rapid in terms of exchange of goods or services, but will take longer to gain political traction on a more macroscopic scale.

JN

* Climate scientists have been warning for years that the next thirty or more years of climate degradation are already written, because of the long persistence of CO2 in the atmosphere. We are now suffering from 70 years of crazy fossil fuel use. What we are fighting for today is the mitigation of the effects of climate collapse in the second half of the 22nd century, i.e. for our grandchildren and their descendants, during a profound climate chaos.