Jean-Noël Montagné on Fri, 15 Jul 2022 16:19:35 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Strom vs Morozov: knockdown punch

Dear all,

I have just finished both Morozov's and Ström's texts, thanks to the automatic translators, and I am very surprised to find almost no reference to climate change, nor to the finitude of resources. Not once does the word "climate" appear in Ström, and only twice does "climate change" appear in Morozov.

It seems to me that one cannot analyse the current developments of capitalism or cybernetics towards techno-feudalism, or other forms, without integrating the beginnings of the collapse induced by climate change and the end of low-cost energy and mineral resources.

Capitalism is directly dependent on the laws of thermodynamics, and relies on the availability of low-cost energy and resources. Cyber-capitalism is extremely fragile, because it is directly based on the globalisation of the economy and on flow-tension strategies. It cannot survive for very long the technological, economic and social collapse induced by the climate crisis and the end of resources.

How can we imagine that the cybernetic system will continue to grow or even exist with more than a billion annual climate migrants within 30 years? [compared to 280 million in 2021, source UN]. These migrations due to climate disasters will cause major unrest in all countries, rich or poor, industrialised or not.

Another example: the digital industry consumes an enormous amount of water, whether for the extraction of rare minerals, the production of semi-conductors, or even data centres, and the UN predicts a 40% reduction in water resources within 8 years (2030) while the population will increase at the same time!

As far as energy is concerned, i.e. the driving force of capitalism, its rarefaction, at low cost, due to various geo-political or climatic problems, but also due to the depletion of resources, will induce an inescapable recession, which will impact both extractivism and the logistics of the real and virtual flows on which digital technology and its profits are based.

As far as temperatures are concerned, we have entered the Decade of the Forty, the era of extremes at more than forty degrees Celcius, but let's not forget that in ten or fifteen years' time, we will be entering the era of extremes at more than 50 degrees Celcius, like in India or Pakistan now. In these periods, it will be very difficult to produce electricity, and impossible to run data centres. Economic activity will be totally paralysed.

It is worth remembering that some insurers have announced that they will no longer be able to insure against climate risks within the next ten years, as the current cost of catastrophes is becoming unmanageable for their business model. Can you imagine an Amazon warehouse or any other commercial activity without insurance, while danger lurks at every climate event?

So we have to realise that capitalism, in all its forms, is collapsing, not because of internal forces, but because economic globalisation and associated extractivism have no resilience in the face of profound climate change and the end of certain essential resources.

We did not want to engage in a chosen degrowth, so we must now navigate the violent storm of suffered degrowth. Digital wolrd cannot survive this. Arms and brains will be required for agriculture.

Our current preoccupation must be adaptation and resilience, i.e. how to organise the degrowth of the Internet in such a way as to keep only the essentials necessary for the most peaceful management of the disaster.

Jean-Noël

(automatically translated, from french)