Brian Holmes on Sun, 3 Jul 2022 18:52:00 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Strom vs Morozov: knockdown punch

This is totally on point, Jaromil. The tech industry has always been able to think cybernetically - it has to, in order to handle interactive networks with millions of users - but what you're pointing out, in a very specific situation, is how it's now able to carry out integrated strategies affecting entire fields or "modes of practice." In your example, it means reshaping all the factors that condition the software development process, including institutional ones such as the literature on standards and the processes for their validation.

On the global level both Google and Microsoft are notorious for transforming governance through the introduction of particular types of software and information-processing services that reshape the activity of corporate officials and bureaucrats, and in that way, affect entire societies. However I had never considered that Red Hat would be doing the same within social-democratic spheres where FOSS development is supported by public money. It's somewhat depressing news, because FOSS development for public use is really one of the few places where the social-steering capacities of Silicon Valley are challenged... I don't have the expertise to fully evaluate what you're saying (although I have read about Devuan and the systemd controversies!) - but anyway, yes, I think we are talking about exactly the same thing here.

From my expertise, I am shocked that someone like Morozov does not think cybernetically, or at least, not when he puts his Marxist glasses on. In a way such thinking is completely banal: we've all been talking about "media ecologies" for decades, and Morozov understands that kind of thing perfectly. How can the leading mainstream net critic, who's a leftist to boot, not even see *political ecologies* and the strategies that are used to steer them? In Marxist terms that means one is reasoning only on the basis of production, only on the logic that's covered in Book I of Capital. With all the sophisticated work that's been done more recently, I thought it had become clear that research and development, distribution, financing, usership and legal/institutional structures constituted the enlarged field of capital-as-power. Indeed, this has become obvious for corporate strategists. But over and over again, I see the leftist critics adopting simplified schemas worthy of the 1930s. To me this indicates a gaping hole or blind spot in the critique of political economy.

I am curious if other people see the same problems, and if there are theorists and practitioners resolving them...

best, BH