Brian Holmes on Mon, 21 Mar 2022 22:46:40 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Beyond the tactical in media - new temporal scales for the war in Ukraine

Thanks Nancy! I will take your recommendation.

The Investigative Aesthetics book has a lot to do with the 'public truth' issues that David Garcia and myself are concerned about.

I think the Ukraine invasion and the larger constellation of events around it have added two crucial points, maybe they already figure in the book or maybe not:

First, social media and the "firehose of information" mentioned by Prem Chandavarkar are not going away, nor is social media a uniformly bad thing. The point, though, is that democracy is failing under its pressures. The failure has been obvious in the US since 2015-16, when Russian information war techniques exacerbated existing divides to produce a situation of extreme polarization. It's not all down to Russia, but their targeted trolling along with the Cambridge Analytica campaigns showed how the psycho-social analysis of a national population can reveal exploitable vulnerabilities. Such interventions have already affected many countries. In his book, The Road to Unfreedom, Timothy Snyder gives a very good philosophical read of all this. War is now a "whole of society" effort and the Western societies were almost decisively weakened by the Russian information war over the last seven or eight years (just imagine if Trump were president now...). But it's not only about the Ukraine war: civil society is prey to manipulation by any powerful actor mobilizing the requisite technical and psychological knowledge, as the climate change denialists have shown. I think what's needed in the cultural and activist worlds are communities of research that can "establish a social contract that includes all the participants in this assemblage of truth production and dissemination" - and those are the perfect words for it. The aim is to help create a new ethos of civil society for the dangerous years ahead.

Second, the Ukrainians have brought an almost forgotten aspect of politics back to the fore, namely values. Instead of the usual consumer routine of critique, complain and collapse into depression, they've stood up to fight for their freedoms, their society and their state. Truth is not just facts, because facts alone can't distinguish between a "special military operation" and a brutal, unjustified invasion. Truth results from a value orientation applied to facts. Indeed, the "facts" themselves are forged by the application of specific values - observability, objectivity and universality are the chief ones in Western societies. But those values are too limited in nature to serve as guides for action. Information war is conducted on facts, but the real weapon is values. In cultural and activist circles, we often avoid the discussion of values altogether, or we foreground very limited sectoral values that can't stand up to pushback from the mainstream media, or even less, from the corporate state. But that's where the actual struggle is. The real shock for old dinosaur "tactical media" geeks is one's own brand-new admiration for people who are fighting for their democracy and their state. And it's worth noting that this is not the first time they have fought for it: because the Maidan protests back in 2013-14 already effected crucial changes in both Ukrainian civil society and the Ukrainian state, whose positive results have been on display throughout the conflict. Personally I never bought into the tactics vs strategy division. In the anti-globalization movement, I wanted to help change the transnational state - not "from the top down" but from my real position in civil society. You can't get a new, more constructive and more shareable ethos without an examination and renewal of values. Communities of "truth production and dissemination" are the right places to start.

Anyway I look forward to reading the book, thanks again,

Brian