Martin Donner on Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:14:48 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Cold War Tactics To Battle Fake News

@ 3.

I’d argue that education ≠ education. It might depend strongly on the kind of education and the question which attitudes it tries to transport and which intentions it fosters. One should not forget that the field of education underwent a big transformation as well highlighting instrumental knowledge appropriation over reflection and so on. That might play a role. The leaders of the Nazis were often also educated very well which didn’t  prevent what happened. Especially pure instrumental knowledge/education –> Adorno/Horkheimer's dialectics of enlightenment.

But I agree however that education respectively trying to alter mindsets isn’t enough and technological logics have to change too. The problem I often have with technological solutions is on the one hand well expressed in the solutionism debate. On the other hand those technological solutions often do not seem to foster so much a sense for an alternative understanding of community but an individualistic standpoint in a manner like ›everybody for oneself‹ in the first place and only in the second step the established ›social atoms‹ can then join and build a community. This seems to be the model behind many technological approaches (also blockchain and stuff like that). And I’m not sure if this captures what an alternative approach to community is or could/should be. In other words: technological approaches mostly remain within the same epistemic frame like what they try to tackle. And I’m not sure if this works and could lead to a better sense of community.

It´s tricky…

Martin Donner
www.martindonner.com

Urbanstr. 83