voyd on Fri, 4 Jun 2021 20:18:19 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Democracy Net Zero

A quick note for my having not engaged the conversation fully and going lateral. My deepest apologies.

I am a bit in the Brian/Ryan camp  on this one. To reframe my polemic, Brian centers it perfectly in saying that the cognitive argument has been had, and it is now a question of will, and that was actually my point in Dubai.

"In my view the climate conflict is not just Indigenous people and/or environmentalists against the state. It is also a struggle that plays out within the state. It no longer has primarily to do with knowledge, because science has spoken and people have heard and understood. It is now a struggle over identities and their corresponding worlds. To advance the struggle in a positive direction means transforming both identities and worlds. The democratic public sphere does not disappear, but it is underwritten by cultural foundations whose structuring influence is now apparent and is passionately at issue."

Exactly.

Brian, Claire - if you pass through Winona either way, a warm welcome awaits, but I figure wou'll be going across from MKE.