d . garcia on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:53:57 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> 3 or 4 good links on NFTs

But when a supermodel is doing tactical media that's far more compelling than all
of nettime combined, and writing about it in ways that radiate
relevance to issues that are (let's say) less 'pale, male, and stale,'
it's time for a rethink.

I found Ted's list of articles is very useful (thanks). Particularly Emily
Ratajkowski's extraordinary text 'The Cut' on her struggle to regain
control of her own image. And the wider exasperated challenge for us to
work harder to break out of our cognitive and political confinement is well
taken.

So in this spirit I suggest that the process should start by acknowledging that reducing Ratajkowski's brilliant essay to "supermodel doing tactical media..'is
really "not ok" (at least give her name!).

Apart from also being a serious actor and a fine essayist Ratajkowski also studied fine art at UCLA. Her article makes clear that this education meant that her encounter with Richard Prince's work was mediated through her knowledge of its Warholian ethos (and as it later turned out she was able to use her erudition to diagnose an acute
moral vacuum).

So my point is that there is more than a hint of a further step in a process of 'objectifying' Ratajkowski going on in Ted's commentary. So yes agreed, less
'pale, male and stale' please.

David Garcia