Allanmini2 on Tue, 13 Apr 2021 18:28:58 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Another killer cop

Hello
Thank you Brian sharing your outrage; besides the points you mention, we should also be clear about the origins and purposes of policing; while globally there are obvious similarities there are also distinctions and these can be telling. Without going into all the details, in the U.S. the origins are connected to slavery and the posses that marauded and ran wild throughout the South and parts of the North; the Underground Railroad was not only a train that led to freedom but also the means to avoid slave-catchers - early incarnations of the modern police. Here lies the immorality and cultural bedrock that underpins most (if not all) police forces in the U.S.. The absolutely wanton hand-out of military equipment from the U.S. Pentagon just adds fuel to the fire - exponentially.
best
allan

Sheriff Earle Brown, founder of the city where Daunte Wright was murdered, was a longtime member of the KKK

"This country has history. It has context. And if you simply scratch and sniff the surface of almost any period of American history, you’re bound to get a big whiff of racism and white supremacy. And that’s exactly what we see in the town where police shot and killed 20 year old Daunte Wright this past Sunday.

Until Sunday, I had never heard of Brooklyn Center, Minnesota before. Like so many American towns, its founding was literally rooted in white power on the farm of a Klansman named Earle Brown. Of course, that fact alone could color how we see Brooklyn Center, but it’s so much deeper than that. Earle Brown was not simply a racist farmer who kept to himself, he was the Sheriff of all of Hennepin County - home to Minneapolis. Under his watch, the KKK thrived in Hennepin County, burning crosses and having hooded marches all over town" Shaun King - The North Star