Rachel O' Dwyer on Thu, 18 Mar 2021 11:19:47 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> what does monetary value indicate?

The best smart contract code is the cryptokitty code! Information on cattributes and cloning etc.
But yes. With a few exceptions where people actually encode images into the hash (see https://cryptograffiti.info) the only thing you own with cryptoart is the act of ownership itself. People sometimes draw comparisons between owning cryptoart and owning a collectible like a baseball card (you own 'this' card but you don't have any rights to the image etc) but in this case, you don't even own the card. To me this is emblematic of a shift from the artwork as commodity to the artwork as a financial asset or increasingly as a financial derivative.