Florian Cramer on Thu, 4 Feb 2021 22:53:50 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> GameStop Never Stops

Finally, why not call BLM populist?

BLM probably fits Laclau/Mouffe's definition and notion of populism as agonistic. But since the movement is reclaiming minority rights, I don't think it fits Müller's and Mudde's definition of populism as positioning a majority of "the good people" against a small corrupt elite. Occupy's slogan of the 99% would be populist according to that definition, the East German 1989 protest movement with its slogan "We are the people", too, and QAnon would fit the definition as well, but (in my opinion) not BLM and other minority activism.

-F