Molly Hankwitz on Mon, 5 Oct 2020 09:10:30 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> A question in earnest

Hello!

Now that DT has Covid-19, it is as if some kind of sense has descended upon this nation, a place recurrently gripped by sensations of flackery, fakery, and flack. It is all quiet on the White House lawn...Left candidates *have*retreated to the sidelines...sure. Biden wants us in the Paris accord...wow!

What has become evident after that first debate and now with Covid is how Trump didn’t want his job — and only as he got a taste for greater power - look wistfully into the distance and say, “...greater power”...did he start to like it.

He’s gone. His believers see that through his own personal irresponsibility he got the virus. Hes transparent. A ghost. A trouble making ghost. Historical facts and figures are now outweighing any tripe he comes up with. His model is old. It cannot sustain us.

More importantly these last few days have exposed his cowardice. He wasn’t going to say anything. I just hope Joe Biden doesn’t come down with Covid, then there would be more upheaval.

Biden is a “decent guy”. We need a decent guy for a while. We can’t take the bombastic and we don’t have anyone else right now - ironically - to beat DT. Honestly, I don’t care that Biden is the last husk of neoliberalism and the Clinton effect. He’s capable, at least of civil discourse and collaboration. He won’t shaft women. He is planning to rejoin the Paris Accord and fund education so that our schools have enough money to reopen. He doesn’t stomp around on his teeny tiny hobby horse screaming threats and sanctions. If we never have to hear that kind of civil abuse again, perhaps we can as a nation pull ourselves together to fight climate change because scientists (who know more than DT) are real.

We’ve been putting up with a gross uncle for the last 4 years. A deeply cynical unhappy boorish sort of man who knows so much, he lacks all curiosity which is the essence of the capacity to learn. Such a know it all and a no nothing.

Our election is teetering. Why isn’t Europe writing about it?

I wonder...lay it on...right-wing groups in Europe are emboldened by DT support for white nationalists?

Is Europe waiting to see him voted out? What does Europe think about our violent protests? Trumps use of Antifa...how backward he is?

Surely you must all be as eager as I for social change? The good that has arisen is all the young smart progressive politicians that have been voted in, the flipping of the Senate, Sanders and Warren working on committees...the life breathed into the Dem party, alongside #BlackLivesMatter and huge support for that movement. The times have changed in do many ways socially that the economy is going to have to change. Macroeconomics. Money is going to have to be put into new budgets. The whole place is a conversation that’s been trying to happen. What is the conversation in other countries?

Molly