Nathan Kramer on Mon, 10 Aug 2020 00:08:24 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> notes on cancel culture

First of all, hi, I'm entirely new to this mailinglist, so if I'm breaking any conventions here, apologies in advance.

Cancel culture is not just bound to the domain of left or rightwing politics, though the emphasis does differ between the two. I've seen some examples that say 'Hollywood should be ditched', but coming from the standpoint of fluff production and unrecognizable icons rather than an unrealistic representation of (although it could be said that those vague points tend to either side, just a differing view of what those icons should represent)

Also, we are definitely not stuck on the platform of Twitter: just leave it, just like Geert mentioned. The trend for more personal networks is rising, such as Instagram where the posting boundary of uploading a photo is higher and contains less focus on the arguing side of things, or a direct messaging client such as WhatsApp, Telegram or WeChat where intimacy becomes easier. With the current coronacrisis it is remarkable to see how quickly instant messaging has gotten a lower boundary for posting, allowing for more informal conversations.

I doubt tribalism will ever leave in the first place, be it online or offline. The fact that the word is derrived from one of the oldest human forms of grouping together in tribes does tell something about our human tendencies, doesn't it?

~ Nathan Kramer