Molly Hankwitz on Fri, 17 Jul 2020 14:10:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> "Consume revolutionary media"

Brian,

I wanted to respond to some of this response you made to Prem and
others...only because, and forgive me, but the questions you raise
regarding..."but in what direction? but, for whom?..." in your first post
made me quiver...mostly because 1) they might undermine the revolutionary
capacity of the media(s) being created by the BlackLivesMatter movement,
and 2) because i think you know the answer to these questions already. so
maybe they are just rhetorical and then...below...you seem to answer them
in these passages...

Here, the major issue that has come out of the recent social movements is,
> how can communities empower themselves to take care of each other, in ways
> that don't require the protection - or permit the violent interference - of
> increasingly brutal police? So that has a lot to do with what you
> recommend: "Shift from overriding emphasis on the vertical axis between
> citizen and state, and build constituencies through the lateral connection
> between citizens." It's happening - and in my experience of a much more
> formalized and overly modernized country, it happens a lot more during
> periods of so-called unrest and insurgency, which are really just about
> life breaking out all over the place.

Yes, I believe it is happening right now and this is why this particular
civil rights movement (the largest yet) is different and unusual.

> It's interesting that you end up talking a fair bit about the relation to
> the state nonetheless, but you do it to ask how the lateral relations
> between people could be either empowered, or simply left to flourish,
> depending on the case. This is a lot different than just get the state off
> our backs (neoliberal slogan) or smash the state (anarchy). To empower is
> subtle, because it means both to give, and to give some room, to not
> impose, to avoid control. To let flourish at respectful distance, in our
> time of vampire corporations and strongman states, is surely the most
> important thing. You talk about getting rid of neoliberalism - I'd say, not
> just because it turns everything into a market, but because in those
> markets, toxic production is rammed down everyone's throats. It's bad food,
> it's poisoned entertainment, it's industrial waste, it's climate change,
> and sometimes - or very often, depending on who and where you are - it's
> just a bulldozer. Gentrification is a sophisticated form of dispossession
> in the US and probably in India too, but things like the fossil-fuel
> industry are just as brutal here as anywhere, a literal bulldozer with its
> exhaust pipe of ecological destruction.

Well, enough said!

> ....let's call it revolutionary media, I have realized that in
> the city of Chicago where I live, some people want to take the literal
> production of power - electric power in this case - back from the
> corporations, in order to eliminate its most toxic forms and diversify all
> the rest into a new kind of grid (https://www.demcomed.org). To my way of
> seeing, this kind of effort is on a similar level as the calls to defund
> the police. It's happening through a proliferation of relations between
> people who are able to care about things that are in no way abstract, but
> just situated at scales that are not directly accessible to isolated
> individuals.

Intersectionality...its intersectional...!

Today the solar panels on my roof are just an isolated gnat in
> the open maw of the electric utility. As long as the grid they're connected
> to is run by a monopoly corporation, they are just a fantasy of change, a
> true utopia (no-place). It takes a socially complex and radically multiple
> civil society to build another world.

An intersectional movement...such as those occurring now here in US and
around the world. New combinations of ideas and profound motivation for
social change or....what...devastation, right?

I want to dream of and move toward a
> lighter, more intricate, more diverse and more sharable kind of real and
> situated power - one that would still permit these great conversations that
> we sometimes have to flourish.

I'm re-posting this revolutionary use of Zoom from the San Diego
community...because if we don't listen to revolutionaries, we can't expect
much intersectionality and understanding - horizontal movement...