Prem Chandavarkar on Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:40:10 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> "Consume revolutionary media"

Brian,
I was on this podcast some weeks ago and will repeat something I said there.
https://www.architecturetalk.org/home/73-jyaga-sa9ls-6wtny-6wgg5-4mgza-kdpel-3rn64-nrbkb-2lpnb <https://www.architecturetalk.org/home/73-jyaga-sa9ls-6wtny-6wgg5-4mgza-kdpel-3rn64-nrbkb-2lpnb>

The challenge to which the left has not responded well is in constructing metaphors of hope.  Our idealism has manifested in abstract discussion on democracy, human rights, equity, rule of law, civil society, etc.

In contrast, the right offers tangible metaphors of hope, even if those metaphors are mythical fantasies of a glorious past: MAGA, the days of Hindu glory, etc.

So the left relies on rationality, the right on stoking emotion.  On any given day in politics, emotion will trump rationality.

The left needs to do two things:
Recast idealism in the form of poetic metaphors rather than abstract analysis.
Shift from overriding emphasis on the vertical axis between citizen and state, and build constituencies through the lateral connection between citizens.

Best,
Prem

> On 13-Jul-2020, at 11:27 AM, Brian Holmes <bhcontinentaldrift@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That was my other favorite slogan appearing on hand-written signs during
> the weeks of protest after the death of George Floyd - protests that are
> still ongoing and that constitute the largest-ever social movement in the
> United States. If, as some have maintained, it takes full commitment from
> only 3.5% of the population to effect basic change, then we're looking damn
> good right now. But which change, in what direction?

<...>