Michael Goldhaber on Thu, 7 May 2020 09:42:20 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Covid Pandemic: Seven Lessons to be Learned for a

Prem has some worthwhile points as a response to the pandemic, but I question the idea that “local government is the core.” Surely an effective international system, rather than the hodgepodge we had, would  have dealt better with an international crisis such as the virus and its spread. Local governments have clearly been shown quite often to be utterly incompetent or downright evil in countering the disease toll.

While I doubt that a vibrant economic recovery is at all likely,  again, a truly internationalist mindset would be the best guarantor of it. Every locality for itself would only make matters worse.

Rather than delegating upwards, effective downwards delegation would make far more sense.

Of course, I recognize we have no such (viable) system to fall back on. But we don’t have anything approximating the upwards delegation system either.

Best,

Michael
-------
Michael H. Goldhaber