podinski on Wed, 8 Apr 2020 18:44:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Bifo: Beyond the Breakdown. Three Meditations on a,

Hi Molly et al,

Perhaps it wasn't so wise of me to take attention away from some of
the other important things Bifo is saying in his post...

nor other great + timely posts yesterday and prior... from Marina
Grzinic, Siraj Izhar, Alex Foti, etc...

and to provoke a debate now on the value ... or non-value ... of D.H.

I of course would respect the voices here and read with interest +
curiosity what people write in her defense.

But not sure i will find time for any further retorts on the list.

I will say here that for the XLterrestrials ( arts + praxis ), our work
has become more oriented around the analysis of the "anthropocene" that
comes from people like the scientific historians Christophe Bonneuil and
Jean-Baptiste Fressoz ( Shock of the Anthropocene ). And considering how
we must now organize our communities to prevent the worst versions of a
" a collapsing industrial modernity" ... making central " the issue of
the commons".  And inventing new "terrestrial futures" !

In one particular interview with Bonneuil ( 2018), which is framed like
this:

"Are we under the threat of an imminent "collapse" as a result of
global warming and the over-exploitation of resources? For the
historian Christophe Bonneuil, there is no question: major social,
economic and geopolitical upheavals have already been triggered and
will only accelerate. Instead, the issue needs to be repositioned,
in turn inciting "political thinking" of the current situation: who
will be the winners and the losers? How can we exert an influence on
the nature of these changes? Mass migrations, risk of conflicts over
resources: despite his brutal observation of this emerging world, the
historian appeals to avoid the trap of a "romanticism" of collapse.
"Another end of the world is possible," he says. It is up to civil
societies to write the final scenario. "

"What is looming over us is not a climate crisis to manage with
"solutions" or economic globalisation to regulate, but the possibility
of a collapse of the world we currently live in, a globalised
industrial civilisation resulting from five centuries of capitalism.
Some people prefer to define collapse as the extinction of the
human species. Even with the worst climate and ecological scenario,
this perspective remains less likely today than it was during the
Cold War and the threat of nuclear winter. Imagine the worst:
climatic, ecological and geopolitical upheavals, devastating wars
between powers for resources, civil wars fueled by xenophobic or
religious fanaticism, clan wars in a devastated world... But why
wouldn’t the few humans surviving and resisting barbarism= ,
find no resource and habitable place on Earth?

"To adopt the end of the human race as the framework of thought for
collapse is to risk inhibiting all thought and politics. I think that
this scenario should not monopolise our attention: it only distracts
from any geopolitical, social or geographical analysis."

https://www.bastamag.net/Climat-et-effondrement-Seule-une-insurrection-des-societes-civiles-peut-nous

( in french )

Unfortunately I can no longer find a working URL for the eng
translation... by Julian Oliver and Crystelle Wu... but if anyone

wants me to send them a PDF, ( or wish to upload that somewhere new )

let me know.

respex + soli,

Podinski

CiTiZEN KiNO + the XLterrestrials