Joseph Rabie on Wed, 25 Mar 2020 09:23:10 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Fwd: Should use mobile phone data to monitor public health

> Le 22 mars 2020 à 16:58, Richard Grusin <rgrusin@gmail.com <mailto:rgrusin@gmail.com>> a écrit :
>
> Yes, as a friend said to me yesterday, COVID-19 is a shot across the bow of the anthropocene.

Seriously? Epidemics such as this one have in all likelihood always been part of the world.

Indeed, the Anthropocene is the virus's worst enemy. Compare fatalities now with those before (Black Death, Spanish Flu). Modern medical technique is part and parcel of the Anthropocene. How many sicknesses have been eradicated by vaccination and other treatments?

One of the characteristics of the Anthropocene is wholesale biocide. The Coronavirus should not be seen as some sort of "revenge".

Joe.