Frédéric Neyrat on Wed, 18 Mar 2020 17:08:05 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Should use mobile phone data to monitor public health efforts?

Dear Felix,

I wonder if *focusing* on "mobile phone data to monitor public health
efforts" is not the best way to prepare, structure, what you call in your
email "the general state of emergency" - to technologically enable it to
last! Yes, "simply calling for the protection of personal privacy" is
meaningless, but we already know that, right? So, do we really want to
think, collectively, "to fine-tune mechanism for social distancing" that
technology will implement? Is it the new goal of the General Intellect? The
new trend in the post-human future?

I know that we're living in a nightmare, that we all have to be cautious,
to take care of the ones we love, to help people not getting the COVID-19,
and as everyone I think about that and I try to do my best. But we also
need to maintain some distancing vis-à-vis what seems to be the coming
technological annihilation of the being-in-common.

Best,

Frederic

__________________________________
________________

__________________________________
________________ Literature and Materialisms
<https://www.routledge.com/Literature-and-Materialisms-1st-Edition/Neyrat-Heise-De-Ferrari/p/book/9781138675704>
(Routledge, 2020)

Website: Atopies <https://atoposophie.wordpress.com/>

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 4:26 AM Felix Stalder <felix@openflows.com> wrote:

> Here in Austria, and in many other places as well, restrictions on
> personal mobility are quite severe. At the moment, we are told to
> stay at home, with exceptions only for a) going to work (where remote
> work is not possible), b) shopping for necessities (food, medicines,
> cigarettes, mobile phones) c) helping others do b) and going for walks
> (alone or with people with whom one shares the apartment).

<...>