Andreas Broeckmann on Wed, 18 Mar 2020 13:33:29 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> FWD: re: switching to teaching online

Rebecca Barrett-Fox offers thoughtful advice for lecturers and
professors considering to move their teaching online:

Please do a bad job of putting your courses online

I’m absolutely serious.

For my colleagues who are now being instructed to put some or all of
the remainder of their semester online, now is a time to do a poor
job of it. You are NOT building an online class. You are NOT teaching
students who can be expected to be ready to learn online. And, most
importantly, your class is NOT the highest priority of their OR your
life right now. Release yourself from high expectations right now,
because that’s the best way to help your students learn.

If you are getting sucked into the pedagogy of online learning or
just now discovering that there are some pretty awesome tools out
there to support students online, stop. Stop now. Ask yourself: Do I
really care about this? (Probably not, or else you would have explored
it earlier.) Or am I trying to prove that I’m a team player? (You
are, and don’t let your university exploit that.) Or I am trying to
soothe myself in the face of a pandemic by doing something that makes
life feel normal? (If you are, stop and instead put your energy to
better use, like by protesting in favor of eviction freezes or packing
up sacks of groceries for kids who won’t get meals because public
schools are closing.)

Remember the following as you move online:

... read on here:

https://anygoodthing.com/2020/03/12/please-do-a-bad-job-of-putting-your-courses-online/