Geoffrey Goodell on Sun, 3 Nov 2019 22:19:20 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Facebook

This pithy exchange attributed to Mark Zuckerberg [1,2] might illuminate the
issue:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks.

---

Later, in an interview with David Kirkpatrick [3], Mark Zuckerberg proclaimed
his view on privacy:

"Having two identities for yourself is an example of a lack of integrity."

I'm inclined to agree with Michael Zimmer's assessment [4]:

"Zuckerberg and those who surround him tend to be relentlessly forward-looking
on privacy: The issue for them is not how to protect users’ current sense of
privacy but to shape their willingness to share in the future."

---

If we imagine that there are some people who stand to benefit from this
dystopia we are building, or others who think that they stand to benefit
because they have not considered the implications of this new emerging morality
in which common people are transparent but powerful interests have many faces,
then we can see how Facebook and its progeny might seem inevitable, or even a
necessary antidote to the fatigue of the modern world.

Enjoy the links, they tell a more complete story than I ever could.

Best wishes --

Geoff

[1] http://www.bitsbook.com/2010/05/mark-z-grow-up/

[2] https://www.businessinsider.com/well-these-new-zuckerberg-ims-wont-help-facebooks-privacy-problems-2010-5

[3] David Kirkpatrick, _The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company
That Is Connecting the World_.  Simon & Schuster; First Edition edition (June
8, 2010), ISBN-13: 978-1439102114.

[4] http://www.michaelzimmer.org/2008/11/18/do-you-trust-this-face-gq-on-mark-zuckerberg/