César García Sáez on Mon, 14 Oct 2019 13:21:47 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Social robotics, cognitive bomb

Interesting approach Olivier!

It's clear that Greta has sparked something, as latest posts in this mailing list are about her :)

Last week, I was thinking the same topics you discuss in the conclusions: "To face all the challenges, environmental and others, we must invent new ways of doing a society. To do this, we must be aware that our world is woven with invisible (anoptical) perspectives on which we can act: our social robotics can be overcome."

IMHO, it's all related to generations and time. I'm 40 yo now, and I was raised with this ideal of study and work diligently and you could retire with good conditions. (It's breaking down due to demographics but...). Younger generation was born inside social media: they could be famous, feeding the social machine while being data generators.

But for the younger generations like Greta, the message is clear: these bastards are playing a huge party on behalf of my future!! They are flying non-stop around the world for random meetings, they are wasting their time producing stupid videos to feed the different algorythms ... Why should I sit down and wait until they die to discover they wasted the planet to run their senseless routines?

I'm wondering if some of our habits will be seen in the future as barbaric as middle ages ones. In particular, I have four "horsemen":
- Executives and "busy" people traveling X.000km for a meeting, or random conference, and back in 24 hours.
- Being producing and consuming content all day long will be seen has smoking indoors. Rude, nasty, unnecessary.
- Eating meat non stop, or beef in particular, might look as we look the Roman empire vomit inducing feasts.
- Birth control measures could be proposed on unprecedent scales to limit human footprint.

These are just four kind of "design fictions" but quite aligned with current trends. Transport, commerce, everything could change if social norms change from this.

Let's see how this evolves!
César