John Preston on Tue, 3 Sep 2019 18:56:46 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The effect of "Nettime is in bad shape" on user agent ratios

Thanks Douglas. I like this. I would like to play with this on a wider scale (listiverse). Do you have a script to scrape out the headers from the archived messages or something?

Thanks
John

On 3 September 2019 13:56:12 BST, Douglas Bagnall <douglas@halo.gen.nz> wrote:
This year, up until the seventh of June, Nettime had contributions
from email clients in the following proportions:

|################################### 35.1% Gmail
|################# 17.2% Apple Mail
|########## 9.9% Thunderbird (Linux)
|###### 5.6% Unknown
|###### 5.8% Thunderbird (Macintosh)
|######## 8.2% XS4all Webmail
|#### 4.1% Qualcomm Windows Eudora
|### 3.4% Mailmate
|## 2.2% Mutt
|### 2.6% Iphone Mail
| 0.4% MS/Outlook.com/Hotmail
|# 1.1% Neomutt
| 0.4% Cyrus webmail
|# 0.6% Jaro Mail
| 0.4% Trojita
| 0.4% K Mail For Android
| 0.4% Alpine
|# 0.6% yahoo/aol
|# 0.6% Microsoft Outlook
| 0.0% Thunderbird (Windows)
| 0.2% Mycom Mailer
| 0.0% Claws Mail
| 0.2% Ipad Mail
| 0.2% Webmail
| 0.0% Evolution
| 0.0% Mew (Emacs)

After (and including) the "Nettime is in bad shape" message, until
(but not including) the "Penalty Shoot Outs" thread, we saw the
following ratios:

|################################## 34.1% Gmail
|######### 8.5% Apple Mail
|########### 11.4% Thunderbird (Linux)
|############### 15.3% Unknown
|####### 7.4% Thunderbird (Macintosh)
| 0.0% XS4all Webmail
|### 2.8% Qualcomm Windows Eudora
| 0.0% Mailmate
|### 2.8% Mutt
|## 1.7% Iphone Mail
|### 2.8% MS/Outlook.com/Hotmail
|### 3.4% Neomutt
|## 2.3% Cyrus webmail
|# 0.6% Jaro Mail
|# 1.1% Trojita
|# 1.1% K Mail For Android
|# 1.1% Alpine
| 0.0% yahoo/aol
| 0.0% Microsoft Outlook
|## 1.7% Thunderbird (Windows)
|# 0.6% Mycom Mailer
|# 0.6% Claws Mail
| 0.0% Ipad Mail
| 0.0% Webmail
|# 0.6% Evolution
| 0.0% Mew (Emacs)

Apple Mail usage halved, Mutt/Neomutt usage doubled. There are nice
contributions from Claws, Evolution, Alpine, Trojita. XS4All Webmail
vanishes completely. Thunderbird tops 20% across platforms. The
identified agents form a fat tail of diversity, while 15% are
unrecognisable.

With the "Penalty Shoot Outs" thread, Nettime seemed to abandon the
experiment. Do the user agent ratios revert to early-2019 form?

|############################ 27.8% Gmail
|###################### 22.2% Apple Mail
|######## 8.3% Thunderbird (Linux)
|### 2.8% Unknown
|######## 8.3% Thunderbird (Macintosh)
| 0.0% XS4all Webmail
|### 2.8% Qualcomm Windows Eudora
| 0.0% Mailmate
|### 2.8% Mutt
| 0.0% Iphone Mail
|############## 13.9% MS/Outlook.com/Hotmail
| 0.0% Neomutt
|### 2.8% Cyrus webmail
| 0.0% Jaro Mail
| 0.0% Trojita
| 0.0% K Mail For Android
| 0.0% Alpine
|### 2.8% yahoo/aol
| 0.0% Microsoft Outlook
| 0.0% Thunderbird (Windows)
| 0.0% Mycom Mailer
|### 2.8% Claws Mail
| 0.0% Ipad Mail
| 0.0% Webmail
| 0.0% Evolution
|### 2.8% Mew (Emacs)

Sort of. The data is thin, of course. Apple Mail is back. Outlook.com
surges on a series of posts from an institutional account. The flurry
of Mutt and Pine users is petering out. It is nice to see Emacs there.

I don't have *much* to say about the significance of this. It is just
something I noticed, and (as tends to be the way) the effect seems
weaker once the data is gathered. But it is interesting that a call
for new voices flushes out a whole pile of Mutt users. I would say
that a Nettime [de-]lurker is not going to rescue anyone from 90s
techno-nostalgia, but that might evoke furious defences of all kinds
of software of which I am actually quite fond. What should seem weird
is that one third of us are using Gmail.

Douglas
# more info: http://mx.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l
# archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime@kein.org
# @nettime_bot tweets mail w/ sender unless #ANON is in Subject: