Geoffrey Goodell on Sun, 7 Jul 2019 09:10:57 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Nettime is in bad shape. Let's see if we can change it.

Platforms (Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, and so on) are not the answer; they are
operated by illegitimate gatekeepers who have no place in the conversation or
its management.  Some of us would never use such a method to communicate, nor
should we be expected to do so.

Suggest that in an ideal world there would be no gatekeepers at all other than
those who use or (if applicable) moderate the list.  Lists would generally be
invitation-only, even as the policy for some lists might be to furnish an
invitation to anyone who asks.  Mail might use SMTP but not DNS or IP addresses
to identify individual persons; all persons would be able to generate as many
unique IDs as they want and use nothing other than those IDs to send messages
and requests for invitations.

But we would need to decide that the benefit of such a system outweighs
the cost of excluding people who would find anything that avoids
platformisation to be too hard.  Importantly, such a system would actually be
more inclusive than platforms, since platforms assign the power to exclude to
those who don't deserve that power.

Geoff