Kristoffer Gansing on Mon, 1 Jul 2019 16:29:09 +0200 (CEST)
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
<nettime> limits of networks...
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: <nettime> limits of networks...
- From: Kristoffer Gansing <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 16:24:35 +0200
- Autocrypt: firstname.lastname@example.org; prefer-encrypt=mutual; keydata= mQINBFoOAeEBEADID6zC+3Wdl1QAd+RTZp3ynhlhpLwi6z23uyEkLTdGay9EUcJhBCi3OS/S o8RVsHBo23gTavlNf6yar/WMIjwgZwL/f0wFe6hLR9WlWm0o0IcT35zHBEut5UPiS5kz9eTS x5Fq0m4EYyUN7i05Jl8fKDe2pkEgbsTVG9IWJqUgCNj9rBAi0z4bIiwlOQ3G1Dspo9rWDr2k S0EFOBTaN6waJ6i4HeeZvLfuLFkMlWEkG8V2QBO4uyycf46U7+S6dwYd02ULPIeJRTRvEox3 aS03Af/13BCwBvDwyoBQyjTBkxWxoLuJXxPXtGEwMCnx+HPpxtQVg7qFAXQL5W8PRPlfqLVa 5f+cVe8HzMlXBWN59wJpFXXh08y5OnTlSLCDtMKKpfw4zwvoi9aD9tdIyKLMRfRKUK+uCjWI MCEERf/LfVn6r4a9yIB4+IgFIkRxCUzDWSpjGbz4rDl2qb2SOBGI/vjFufY4IAT14Ayz5VQ/ 6waGndPIqC3RiJgwlsl+CGyCBJ/T+dWSjL7H4Z+depCqk+0TxpruezuDwyQDXTn9/XBT9YaP LdKgGs5d3U2Wy1QNtQGx3wmLEm7vwl7u9UgECdgzDSklo/pZ+te1fiHg/Q+BAlWNteRThUA5 3dT65+6J5snggeBUiAZmCcwqwOovrqgnzbbsowNzhwuv5EuFxwARAQABtCdLcmlzdG9mZmVy IEdhbnNpbmcgPGtnQHRyYW5zbWVkaWFsZS5kZT6JAj0EEwEIACcFAloOAeECGyMFCQlmAYAF CwkIBwIGFQgJCgsCBBYCAwECHgECF4AACgkQoqg1fJOXC9SWzA//Zuxk/PdEMQ+L0lZRo6IW 0VVlhPsIBY+j87YojtiavnQhbSDcuNQ0Z/WKrfSnsuffqyizeJqkcFEJwV6wpOG/aQ1QQ/X0 HxrECRvO6qv8I+Zf1c9V90i5OUJu+3wN6EEhpKMhPkWjuiTUm7SvE9B6/owQMng3fhV5deAa vd6sY9q9Gax5QGH+cG91Psr9UizzVs/exOvzC4eaWL6nhbuyIgSF4nPt64Cxc7N2YODnH15E 3XGV2u6hkqTA0GXNqRV4N5FiUHyeDXyRVSpxCFbFNLIMsFAYZVfwTP6N1g/npvxvrnV/+37+ WESbH0ZzMTPrEo0tELl9feo0tR3QiXMdkW13r6oICydgdpO/YX2Q8VuOtjlBE6X0a+JiY8Qt u+WK0jWgqlmU6HqBSa1qVRYSMuABSCbZpQv6uE5z9KzqTAOLLZUor1s2Ns5kUVmem+xxUZ/s 0VBGWoL18/72TzsrVquh+JBpFGmX0+dMD8HCAWM0HSvdVoeB3v1SmHt4UoTeDPcVorysTegM 3TZW8p17Js39zvshpUiJEl5nqesA+85WEqZlE0J8jG5IeFTC9kEQsIZ3vSyU3xfe54SfU6Vl RYU444HDHkbPyjYHJzd7Qs1zbDUS7MQLmi+Pj5j2ZV8aFavBq+XOXNI0Tz6QnepiIaKG1Gxv hWB7+IV1frd7A/+5Ag0EWg4B4QEQAMg3t6+kk9aRd5O48VudcG800OhTznWO2Zn8jFGuC2QT PpxPW1kJERXnq0wU2dNgEBNq+bXTZfYySTWgnRjx5dJVcwR/jGVzYyH1r6oE5aMr3Z6porU2 Szo26P36CreYrYnxzWloLhFfXy3NIV7XxDjMCx2w84JRGMdNQUoFw7TPebf3fjG0x0w5604q lu8iFpOudZsZoCM3TX0uUb+Br5lLDjMLXQSxYtxdRy347Ig597OM8+wW+j9YxgYmO7kZ+8LC Y5sTKOEmU8kkE3Op2WTetW7BQxo1pex1y+bFIzHw7TVdnCahGun4yQa6LfN242atwdPTre+N DabBTbamGUdW+e+HJzhZ86hW3xMv1XyCeTs9VxHXaRZLPDJXnYCIxSLsDqWpWreuxfKdpIfY oTZFvonL64QS6NcjV1CJ46Wf/LT8kYGOrsY+47dlNMIFuTHVkRXA5DvhxFMQyHf7R4ZBx2j4 HsOFw5Z+SwQ+T6r9AcQ5Fz5dWtIK8pxJCUHpHiPIn4zVcMcfqCtS3OODu9xdGoy9wc5gsGOS 4Nk5fVBLKg+1B4eSbCaVgTdwCV5E2GyFNI5QTlV+KrNX9xcjadb7h+0aPi7Rgzft7bBEBEnw OA5DfnWEf6fhkHzCu/MFrhOY7RD+cu8vQmjsvKo7RCFg4SHBtI0SFJNw+DVgKRsjABEBAAGJ AiUEGAEIAA8FAloOAeECGwwFCQlmAYAACgkQoqg1fJOXC9S3YhAAiNbHRY5doZ0llPuaSAI2 j89HDZQ5sNVO3zBb8AXOHNkyBFpA7OETFn8v8gkkXibRVVu6BLJxeKyMweD0iwYhJBVzYbYL Y3KoehcwI6g/a4KyYxsRTW2FjDIahePVtLr9U+JQp9geDZ/gI4YcPnY2wDAgoB3UMOK76RdX kjs1jWeTnyTj/JMwSXm2jEdV/DJss8ktbDJGN2mSKc0Hf0Fsslnur0hquYfKTA7LOojSnXWK VthsphL21n9RQI7I7ih3T5LbIZ9f/K/yhHC/Y9GKpj0IzRBCReAiNXrWo5sl9AfVS/efQMht YiW44BoAH/39GpiSOeMuHDqh2/ZOFyNDPLjYANsIENNJLNZUt6wKsGXn/1jCOLrtxOM+rJLK lM9Z5eNHtAzl2spot91TFY7FGlGXzeJbTC03s75EvaOigAUyPS6n/QGpY8FEmQiYfE2LCBuh TYZGKjxhpgpn3VuIl8TzUKsky5p9wZnu20G6MvKBgP8prsOIIT1s4KNPYLlT1EwUXGx5GU6Y l0HcKkAtH2HaO/OWtkLHt+YJ8sxbmOZYkgT5GcrrqBqP2kKEZekghMM8l00T0quoUDR1uA30 J//fWmoDOjF1JiQtsx2HsURWhzhUjV8klO4vEd3oPn5QCK2MUaZdgYuhIjJ7OF77P+rKcpSf OATv7StZXacq0Mc=
- Openpgp: preference=signencrypt
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.7.1
Maybe I can take the opportunity to plug in to the running discussions
by shamelessly plugging the announcement of the next transmediale
festival which aims to deal exactly with the topics of networks, as it
appeared here as a recurring common concern.
I think its quite interesting how the thread on nettime being in a bad
shape and the one Rachel O' Dwyer started on net-art is converging
around questions that have to do with how the limits of networks have
become more tangible today, technically as well as in the form of
Molly Hankwitz wrote:
> The question comes up more and more - where is the whole idea of networks
> that was once? Answer: sorry, social media has everyone blissed out on
> their own screen.
> The great debates that enlivened networks of the 90s, have become muddled
> to the point that "networks" per se don't seem to carry much weight online
> - now its the app, its the website - which don't always reflect a living
> community of net-users as we know...or maybe we are imagining networks
> differently than before and that does not help. Common interests which
> drove the formulation of networks and network 'flows' seem to have been
> replaced by something else. Who is the we of any network now...
> Can we still speak about ?tactical media? or ?the exploit?, and if not is
> this because
> a) network activism has transformed so that these older descriptions no
> longer accurately describe net art and ?hacktivist? practices, or
> b) these art practices have stayed much the same, but they are no longer
> effective in the current political and economic context?
I would not agree with David Garcia that these meta-discussions is a
sign of the decline of nettime however, rather that the discussion of
networked forms seems to be returning at the moment, maybe especially
also on a list like nettime, because it seems as if it disappeared from
the big "digitalisation" debates that are now anyway everywhere. (except
for the breaking up of THE social network) Meanwhile, users are
returning to smaller networked forms in the form of the fediverse or in
other intimate constellations taking their cue from safe spaces and
intersectional practices online, offline or rather in between. Maybe we
need new ways of modeling networks also beyond the canonical Baran
diagram of centralized, decentralized and distributed, along with
nodocentric visualizations that have been so prevalent from the 1990's
and basically up until today?
# distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission
# <nettime> is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,
# collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
# more info: http://mx.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l
# archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: email@example.com
# @nettime_bot tweets mail w/ sender unless #ANON is in Subject: