Carsten Agger on Wed, 12 Jun 2019 17:48:17 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Maker Movement is abandoned by its corporate sponsors; throws in the towel

On 6/11/19 5:27 PM, Jaromil wrote:
> dear Bruce and nettimers,

[...]
> 3. the "shamanic" value that can be embedded in uses of technologies,
>    as opposed to the sanitized and rational interpretation given by
>    designers in the west. Techno-shamanism is something Fabi Borges,
>    Vicky Sinclair and other good folks in Bricolabs have been busy for
>    ages!

Thanks for mentioning this, Jaromil!

Yes, the maker movement has been largely oblivious to the shamanic and
spiritual aspects and uses of technology, which also affects the very
definition of "technology" as a concept. We ay have our modern
technology, but the indigenous peoples have their ancestral technologies
which are in many ways superior to our own when it comes to interacting
with this our planet; *and* which combine with modern technologies in
many interesting ways.

At the moment, we in the technoshamanistm network (myself, Fabi Borges,
Rafael Frazão, Raísa Innocêncio and a number of others) have an ongoing
collaboration (since 2014) with the Pataxó village of Pará near Monte
Pascoal. These indigenous people are, in a way, the original makers:
They build their own houses and grow their food themselves - in these
modern times, this extends to fixing their own motorbikes and buggys.

Our current project is to raise money for a collaborative effort to
create a health centre in the village. The purpose is partly to offer
facilities for visiting nurses and doctors (so the Pataxó might be
attended, at intervals, without travelling too far), partly to create a
centre for indigenous healing methods. These structures will be built by
a communal effort in November, in which people are invited to
participate - to lend a hand, but also to learn from the Pataxó and
their ways.

If you feel this sounds like a good idea and would like to help it
happen, feel free to chip in at the end of this link:

https://www.catarse.me/mutirao_da_saude_pataxo_2019

In the meanwhile, if you want to get a sense for who the Pataxó are and
what kind of work we do in the technoshamanism network, feel free to
check out the pictures from the festival we did with the Pataxó, back in
2016:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22405820@N08/albums/72157673936765924

Best

Carsten