Morlock Elloi on Fri, 3 May 2019 22:26:02 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> infonuclear options are coming

It will be interesting to see the coming spread of assertions of national information sovereignty.

The fact that the Internet started from one country, and that 70-75% of all Internet traffic (yes, it includes traffic between, say, Lyon and Marseille) goes through that country is often overlooked, as useful idiots defending "Internet freedoms" don't get that it actually means defending the right of that country to handle, snoop, modulate, inject, censor 75% of all Internet traffic. Freedom is slavery.

How would assertion of national data sovereignty be viewed, past the useful idiots?

For example, if Germany cuts off all foreign routing of human interactions within Germany (it means pretty much all 'social' systems are out ... my God ... freedoms ...), would that be viewed similar to non-sanctioned acquisition of own nuclear weapons? Because suddenly foreign countries get zero say in indoctrination, control and surveillance of Germans - and we know where can that lead. Imagine even worse, the French doing it?

It is starting to happen. China did it about 10 years ago, Russia is starting to do it, and vasal countries will be eying this option as well. It's cheaper than nuclear weapons, and as effective.

My guess is that some non-infonuclear proliferation treaties will be attempted first, and I'm excited waiting for arguments that bs artists will be serving for that purpose (unless they just copy Orwell.) I am especially expectant for entertaining arguments how this violates freedoms.